PDA

View Full Version : Anna's in Australian Garden

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
http://yamo.zenfolio.com/img/v9/p175315881.jpg

D3 200/f2 + TC17EII (340mm) f/8 at 1/1250 ISO1250 +0.3 EV Matrix, HH, no flash

Small lift and increased contrast of midtones in custom RAW conversion curve, NR on background, moved tail in front of pink blurred foreground flower by cloning, light sharpening, small improvement of the bokeh through gaussian blur also on the flower near tail.

Taken at the Australian Gardens of the Arboretum at the University of California at Santa Cruz in bright morning sun.

Thanks for looking, commenting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Jeff Cashdollar
05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Michael,

Love the species and great capture getting food. Might have used a larger aperture to blur BG and keep shutter high - but f/8 can be a sweet spot and you lost some light with the TC.

I would crop about 2/3 inch from top and bottom, this is mostly feel - nice picture - thanks for sharing.

Desmond Chan
05-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Agree with Jeff on blurring the background more. Probably some of the foreground, too. The bird as a whole looks angled slightly away from the sensor plan. Exposure and overall sharpness looks good though. Would suggest sharpen the eye a bit.

Alfred Forns
05-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Real sweet Michael Excellent PS work !!!

Would love seeing one with the lens wide open ... even with converter at just over 2.8 would give an impressive bg and will cut down the work. Haven't worked out the dof but worth a try !!!

Dave Mills
05-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Michael, Good advice given above.Very sharp with even lighting. HA could be a bit more to the viewer but to me not a major issue here. Agree with others on a cleaner backround. If you have a mind to I would take out the small brown area below the forward wing...

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Folks,

Greetings. Thanks for the comments and suggestions... Dof appears to be about 3 inches for f/8 and only an inch for wide open (f/3.3)... a little tight to open up, I think. Mostly, it is a busy background that is a bit tricky to get everything together - background, light, and these quick moving birds in focus. I worked on the background then the crop and ended with this:

http://yamo.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p442794776.jpg

Thanks again for looking, commenting...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Lance Peters
05-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Michael - agree with the comments above - I actually prefer the original over the repost.
Lots to like here.
Sweet!!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Michael - agree with the comments above - I actually prefer the original over the repost.
Lots to like here.
Sweet!!

Yep, kinda ambivalent about the repost myself... blur != bokeh...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Kerry Perkins
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Michael, really nice job on this one! I think I'm fine with the original, as it gives a nice open feel to this busy little one. Very nice.