PDA

View Full Version : Iris Bud

Julie Kenward
05-01-2010, 01:08 PM
All these high key images lately got me inspired to try one again. This is an iris bud on the east side of my (white) house. I liked how the rain drops were caught beneath the top layer of the plant. I exposed the image so the house would be at +1 and then used the eye dropper tool in the levels adjustment to pull it up a little more so the white BG was as pure as I could get it.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f4.5 @ 1/200th, ISO 400
Manual mode, AWB, overcast sky, handheld
Slight crop, sharpening, etc. in CS4

Desmond Chan
05-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Looks very nice, Julie ! The bubbles make it looks like the bud was underwater :)

Cheryl Flory
05-02-2010, 11:29 AM
very striking. thanks for the additional info on how you adjusted as well as took the image.

Nick Palmieri
05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice high key work. Like it as presented. The bubbles add something to it.

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Jules,
While not the biggest fan always on the straight up and down presentations....I think the shapes of the buds is adding some movement. Like the high key presentation also. Looking forward to my moms popping soon!

Vida van der Walt
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Lovely shot Jules. Whites are perfect and such a vibrant combination with the green. Amazing how see through the petals are that the drops can be seen underneath it.:)

Anita Bower
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Lovely high key photo. Those water drops add just the right touch to make this image special. I love the simplicity, the gracefulness of the buds, the edges tinged with purple. I wonder what croping a bit off each side would do? Also, I think I'm seeing a hint of a dark, wide horizontal stripe about 1/4 from the bottom going about 3/4 across the image, and maybe some a bit lower.

Hazel Grant
05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
the up/down positioning gives it a modern art look. Water adds to softness. Thanks for the details about how you did the white part. Gives me ideas. I like it!

Julie Kenward
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Anita, there are/were white bricks in the BG. Your eyes are certainly better than mine - I couldn't see the lines at all until you said something!