PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Beauty

Arthur Morris
04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
This male Painted Bunting was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with 37mm of extension, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/200 sec. at f/9.

Eye replaced with the eye of the same bird from a previous frame as this one had the nictitating membrane over the eye.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Don Lacy
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Artie, A lot going on in this image with the blurred wings to the flying water. Love the color and wet look of the Bunting but I find my eye moving between the nice and sharp head and the blurred wings and never really settling on a spot and I think this is because of the patch of green on the wing. I am not sure if this is a nice added dynamic to the image or a distraction and would be interested in what others think.

Keith Carver
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
To my eye the blurred wing is right in context with all the flying water droplets, so I like the story of this image. Great job on the eye and perfect exposure with that bright light. Action shots for PBs are unusual, so I like it!

Arthur Morris
04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Artie, A lot going on in this image with the blurred wings to the flying water. Love the color and wet look of the Bunting but I find my eye moving between the nice and sharp head and the blurred wings and never really settling on a spot and I think this is because of the patch of green on the wing. I am not sure if this is a nice added dynamic to the image or a distraction and would be interested in what others think.

Thanks Don. The green on the upper back or the green of the wing coverts?

Fernando Cerra
04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
I like the image but find the blurred wing distracting, it just looks too blurred to me, other than this issue, it is a very nice capture. IMHO.

Don Lacy
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Don. The green on the upper back or the green of the wing coverts?
The wing coverts, usually when we view images with blurred wings they appear as a solid dull color and do not have a prominent color to compete with rest of the subject.

Dave Leroy
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I like it. It is a very nice action shot.
BG colours work so well with the bird.

Even with all that gear, the action is stopped at 1/200 where it needs to be.

Joe Senzatimore
04-30-2010, 04:40 PM
We see so many of these in a static pose on a branch , and most are beautiful as this is a magnificent species. But this is exceptional as it shows the subject in a setting/behavior not often seen. Love the comp. and color.
Artie , as an aside I'm sure you are aware that the site is acting up again.:confused: If you didn't know , now you do. Hope you guys get it fixed soon.:D

Troy Lim
04-30-2010, 10:52 PM
It is a nice shot. It shows movement, plus the head is really sharp.

Arthur Morris
05-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks all. It is so hot that we are getting lots of them bathing. Thanks Joe. I did not know....

denise ippolito
05-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Artie, I love the pose and the beautiful colors. Nice details and splash.:)

Stu Bowie
05-01-2010, 07:16 AM
A very colourful image, and I like the bathing behaviour with all the flying droplets. Well captured Artie.

Ed Schneider
05-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Lovely action Artie, and great job with the eye (dang nictitating membrane!)

Arthur Morris
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
The wing coverts, usually when we view images with blurred wings they appear as a solid dull color and do not have a prominent color to compete with rest of the subject.

Thanks Don. And thanks all. I still sorta like this. Got some more way more wicked ones. Will post another one soon.

Arthur Morris
05-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Here is the same bird soaking moments later.... Same gear and EXP.

Ilija Dukovski
05-01-2010, 09:57 PM
What's not to like with this incredible colored species, the water drops add a lot.

Karl Egressy
05-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't attempt to do a deep down to the point analysis as to why these two pictures are appealing to me. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In very simply terms: they look great, Artie.

Harshad Barve
05-05-2010, 07:33 AM
one amzing bird that too in water , you gotta love this Guruji ,
TFS

Arthur Morris
05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks Karl and Harshad :) See today's blog post for more on TX: www.birdsasart-Blog.com