PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Cubs

Nonnie Saran
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
The photo had been taken extremely low light . The equipment and settings were as follows -
Canon Mark IV , Canon 600 F4 IS + 1.4 X TC
Shutter speed - 1/200s
ISO - 1250
How can we best reduce High ISO noise .

Alfred Forns
04-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi Nonnie Regarding noise would first make sure you have the least amount possible by not under exposing, even on third under that you need to bring up later in PS will introduce noise.

Removing nose I sue Noiseware Professional, seems to work the best, lots of control and will preserve sharpness !! btw I do not consider really high ISO 1250 for the Mk4... routinely I go higher with great results, for macro 1600 is my standard !!

As presented I think the original might be a little under? .. and that paw up front sure attracts attention !!!

Todd Frost
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice eye contact from the two cubs. Al has given some good advice re: under exposure. From what I have seen iso1250 should not be a problem with the MK4 if exposed properly (no experience I'm a nikon guy). The image looks soft all around, perhaps aggressive noise reduction in this case? Pity about the paws in front of cubs. If nr has caused the softness, perhaps a re work without nr applied to the cubs. TFS
Todd

Sabyasachi Patra
05-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Nonnie,
I agree with Alfred regarding the exposure. I too use a Mark IV. If your original image is underexposed, and you are pulling up the exposure during post processing, then there will be more noise. Is the high ISO noise reduction on in your camera?

I would avoid the ISO 1250. Use the ISO 1600 instead.

What was the aperture? Moving more to the left, if possible, to avoid the leg would have strengthened the image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Nonnie Saran
05-01-2010, 03:56 AM
The angle was such I had to balance the lens against a tree trunk while balancing in the jeep . I have neat image and CS4 for post process . I usually do not use Neat Image for the main object , maybe for the back ground . I just posted the photo for tips on the workflow on noise reduction . I would have cloned the leg in the FG otherwise .

Ignacio Yufera
05-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Nonnie, apart from the suggestions above, I like the symmetry in the cubs' expression and pose, almost like a mirror image. The repost works nicely IMO. I don't see so much a noise problem as a certain softness overall.

You don't mention where this was taken; are these Asian lions?

Harshad Barve
05-02-2010, 06:47 AM
lovely cubs and excellent suggations above
TFS