04-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 84mm
Av mode
.5"
F22
ISO: 100
LR & CS3

BG is white foam core. Shot indoors with natural window light. I cloned over some glare and lightly desaturated the leaves

The leaf may seem a bit overpowering but these are robust plants and that's what you get.

Desmond Chan
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM
The leaf may seem a bit overpowering but these are robust plants and that's what you get.

Oooooo...Kay :)

Perhaps the leaves look overpowering because the details there are not as subtle as those in the rose, too.

Another fine image from you, Ken !

Some of you are really prolific.
<iframe id="AnswersBalloonIframe" src="javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;" style="z-index: 99998; position: absolute; width: 490px; height: 306px; visibility: hidden; background-color: transparent; border: medium none; top: 183px; left: 198px; margin-left: 10px; margin-top: 10px;"></iframe>

Ken Childs
04-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Some of you are really prolific.<iframe id="AnswersBalloonIframe" src="javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;" style="z-index: 99998; position: absolute; width: 490px; height: 306px; visibility: hidden; background-color: transparent; border: medium none; top: 183px; left: 198px; margin-left: 10px; margin-top: 10px;"></iframe>
My wife was out of town for 4 days last week so as they say, "when the cats away, the mice will play...and take lots of photos and drink beer!" :D

Christopher Miller
04-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Ken, The only leaf that really bothers me is the large one on top. I think if it was a bit smaller or curved back it would look better. Just my opinion. Nice colors and details.

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Beautifully composed and executed. Gorgeous colors. You know just how to position the flower in the frame. I'd like to see something different in the center of the flower--maybe positioning yourself a bit higher so that we can see a bit into the center. Thanks for sharing.

denise ippolito
05-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Ken, I agree w/ Christopher. The lg. leaf is a bit dominant. Very nice high key BG and the details and focus look very nice.

Julie Kenward
05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
At first I really loved the composition (and part of me still does) but I sure see the other's point about that top leaf dominating the image for the focal point. I really like how the other leaves relate to the softer rose and the green/pink combination is nicely in balance.

Roman Kurywczak
05-01-2010, 10:38 AM
My wife was out of town for 4 days last week so as they say, "when the cats away, the mice will play...and take lots of photos and drink beer!" :D
I do that with her in the house! :D....sometimes she even buys it for me!!!

I agree with many of the suggestions above......but will add one not mentioned....try a combo of blurring/softening/or even desaturating.....just the leaves? Not sure but think it may be a option to explore.

Ken Childs
05-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll mess around with this one but I'll probably end up trying for a similar look with a different flower and a smaller leaf. If I have to, I can mix and match to get the right sizes.

Now it's back to watching the wall to wall coverage of the crazy weather we're having. We've had 6 inches of rain so far today which is half of what many places in this area have received. This is the first time I've felt safe plugging in the computer. No fun. :(