PDA

View Full Version : Lady of the West

Patti Edens
04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
The rock formation off the coast of Western Ireland is said to be a lady (on the right) playing a harp. It was dubbed, "The Lady of the West".

DAP Realism blended back with original. Added some texture with PSCS4. Framed using layers and filters in PSCS4. Did the wooden look on the frame with Filter > render > fiber. Adjusted brightness. Then duplicated the layer, rotated the photo 90 degrees and did the exact same settings on the fiber filter and brightness. Rotated back and added mask to layer. Painted over the two opposite sides with vertical grain and mitered edges. Added depth using the layer styles (Bevel & Emboss).

Not nearly as pleasing as the real wood frames being made, but works if yu don't have the real thing.

Patti

Christopher Miller
04-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Very nice, Patti! :) Beautiful scene and painted look. Has nice colors and texture. I think it could use some CW rotation to straighten the horizon. Very nice job on the frame, the colors of it perfectly harmonize with the painting and I like how you added a texture to the matboard.

Mark Fuge
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice image and application, Patti.

Very nice image. Agree with the CW, but otherwise nice job.

The frame is very nice for the image.

You should try the "at home" type ... Just shoot wood in the house, or tree trunks in the yard and adjust the tone to fit the vision. Not that you have to ... just a suggestion. I used book cases and our entertainment center for a number of frame and in adjusting the Hue/Saturation, Vibrance/Saturation and Brightness/Contrast have come up with over 20 alternatives so far. ;) After the first one, you get the feel for it and they just come to you.

denise ippolito
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Patti, Nice job w/ the painterly look and the colors really pop. I like the frame and agree w/ rotation comments. Nicely done.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Patti, agree with the need for a little rotation. Beautiful painterly effect and the colours are stunning.
Best,
Nicki,

Arthur Morris
05-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I very much like the painterly/textured look of the water and the sky. I do not see the lady or the flute :confused:

Patti Edens
05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks all. I agree about the rotation, but there's more to that story. I tried to move the shoreline up because the "Lady's" head was touching it. I didn't do it very well and got the new shoreline crooked. You guys don't miss a thing! Great feedback.

I very much like the painterly/textured look of the water and the sky. I do not see the lady or the flute :confused:
:D:D Thanks Artie.

Maybe this will help. No flutes here, but there is a harp. Please excuse my poor attempts at drawing.