PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Horizons in PS

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Some of you seem to have a problem with level horizons. It is a very quick fix in PS.

Look under the Eye dropper Tool, You'll see the Ruler:

Click on a line in your image that would let you measure how straight it is, if not the horizon, a shore line, or a line that's supposed to be straight. Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line.

After you set the complete line, beginning and end points, go to Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary

It would tell you exactly how much rotation it needs and adjust it automatically.

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Measuring:

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Applying:

---------

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Good one. Sometimes that straight line is hard to find. For bird (and other) reflections, one method is to measure from the real eye to the reflected eye. The line will be vertical, but works just as well.

Ian McHenry
02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Although I appreciate the advisability of doing all or most editing with one system and fine explanation from Fabs, I download from camera to Picasa 2 then go thro' images to use their straighten tool.
Each one only takes a moment.

Dave Phillips
02-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I have been leveling in Capture One, which has a very nice tool.
Until now also making "arbitrary" guesses in PS for little tweaks.
Never knew how to use the measure tool for this, Thanks a bunch :)

Arthur Morris
03-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Good job Fabs but I am confused by one thing: why draw the line in the sky??? If you draw it right along the horizon, then you get exactly what you want and need.

I saw this in the pane above: "Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line." but was confused by that too...

later and love, artie

Blake Shadle
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Good job Fabs but I am confused by one thing: why draw the line in the sky??? If you draw it right along the horizon, then you get exactly what you want and need.

I saw this in the pane above: "Mark as in image provided. I measured above so you can see what the tool looks like. This should have been place directly over horizon line." but was confused by that too...

later and love, artie

Mark your image the same way she did in the attached image, except over the actual horizon line. Because the tool is black, doing it right over the horizon (which is also black) wouldn't have worked out so well for demonstration purposes ;)

Arthur Morris
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks BlakieBoy, Good explanation. That's what I figgered.

later and love, artie