PDA

View Full Version : lily

Cheryl Flory
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
tried something else with this lily.
what do you think?
perhaps the background is too strong? especially the red?

Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm at 36mm
1/125"
f13
ISO 400
EC +1.0
partial metering

Mike Moats
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Cheryl, I really like the nice sharp details and like the colors, the red areas on the right doesn't work for me, but lets see some other opinions on that.

Christopher Miller
04-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Superb details and colors in the lily, Cheryl. It's very lovely. :) I'm not too crazy about the red and blue areas on the right, I think a more even BG would be better. I would also crop some off the right side.

Desmond Chan
04-30-2010, 02:00 AM
This looks wonderful, Chery l ! I'm kind of ok with the red but perhaps try de-saturate it a bit? I would crop out that little blue "hole" that is kissing the frame in the upper right quadrant. Details are really good. I do see some tiny white fringe along the petals...the side effect of sharpening? ;) Like the light, too. Flash ?

OvidiuCavasdan
04-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Nice and sharp, interesting BG but I think the red is a bit too strong.
This is a good subject to discuss about BG that are not very smooth/even.

Stuart Frohm
04-30-2010, 05:11 AM
The detail is beautiful. And although the background is interesting, I'm distracted by the red. If the red is absent, I might be distracted by the blue; but I find the blue more pleasant and compatible in the background than the red.

Cheryl Flory
04-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Desmond, no flash. just window light. Stuart, I laughed at your comment since it was exactly the second thing I thought about the image too! lol
I like the colors in the background, but maybe if I gave more room on the left they wouldn't take up so much of the image. But I agree that the red should be toned down. Or perhaps use a red flower???? would that help?

Ken Childs
04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree pretty much with what Christopher said. The BG on the left sets the tone for the entire BG, IMO, so the rest of the BG should be relatively consistent. I think I'd prefer consistent toned down striping or maybe the entire BG should be the same as it is on the left.

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I admire how you keep trying new ways of photographing flowers. Most of the BG works for me, except for the right side, which is too bright. Maybe toning it down a bit? I like using interesting BGs. I would clean up the dark spots on the petal in the 10 o'clock position, and a couple of bright spots--near center of flower and on petals. The colors are OK. With the bg striped on the diagonal, I want to see the flower as perpendicular as possible.

Julie Kenward
05-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I really do like how the flower is exposed and I like the left side of the BG (as others have noted.) The rest of the BG leaves me confused as to what I am seeing so I am spending all my time looking at the BG and not the flower.

Roman Kurywczak
05-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Cheryl,
Flower lighting is beautiful!....BG isn't working at all for me.....not only because of the red.....but the harsher diagonal lines. I do think this is a neat idea so keep experimenting!