Ken Childs
04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 105mm
Av mode
.4"
F22
ISO: 100
Canon 430EX: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
LR & CS3
BG is white foam core.

Shot indoors with mainly natural window light.

denise ippolito
04-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Nice high-key image and I like the way you included the buds. I think since the main flower is facing left I would crop a tiny bit from the right side if it were mine, even though the buds are facing that way. I think it will help to balance the image a bit.

Mike Moats
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey Ken, nice comp and good details, white BG works well.

Desmond Chan
04-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Just wants to say that somehow I feel that those three buds that are hanging down don't go well with the mood of this picture. On the one hand, it's high key, the bright yellow color and it gives a feeling of hope and cheerfulness. One the other hand, when I look at those buds I think of sadness, depression. Silly me :)

Good job !

Julie Kenward
04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
I know how Desmond feels. I created a Fleabane image 2 years ago with the same thing and those droopy buds eventually got the best of me. I do like your high key look and the comp suggestion by Denise sounds perfect.

Ken Childs
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Silly Desmond and Jules. :D

I did this because it shows the 3 stages of a Fleabane bud. The buds start out pointing down (not drooping), then they slowly raise up until they open.

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 05:13 AM
I've been thinking of taking pictures of all the Fleabane blooming around here. This image of yours is great! I like the 3 stages of the flower. I like the high key and white BG. I see what Jules and Desmond mean, but the image didn't strike me that way because I know what it looks like in real life--just like this image.

I would take some off the right side as Denise suggests. I'd also clone two dark areas on the open flower at 3 and 8 o'clock.

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I forgot to ask if your flash was on or off camera. If off, where was it positioned?

Roman Kurywczak
05-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Pretty cool Ken,
High key works for me with this flower....has a very painterly feel. Very nicely done!