PDA

View Full Version : African Darter

Gerrie van Vuuren
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Cleaned the BG by removing some firewood & did a horizontal flip. Taken from the Mankwe hide in the Pilanesberg National Park.

1D MKIII
600mm f/4 + 1.4x extender
ss 1/400
f/8
ISO 1000

Randy Stout
04-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Gerrie:

Interesting picture that made me look twice, and then study it for a bit, usually a good thing!

The bird is sharp, well exposed. The reed adds an interesting element to the comp.

I wish the illumination was a bit more even behind the eye, but the eye is very nicely lit, which is essential for me.

I might consider lightening the dark branch in LUC so it doesn't stand out quite so starkly from the background. Tends to pull my eye up to that corner.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Gerrie, these guys love to play with "toys". I like the angle of the darter, and he is nice and sharp. Im not sure how long the piece of reed was, but I would have liked to have seen the other end. ( cutting it in PS may have worked ;) )

Axel Hildebrandt
05-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I like the light, BG, eye contact and sharpness. I find the part of the body too small and might go for a wider crop.

Tony Whitehead
05-02-2010, 04:22 AM
I like the colours, sharpness and light on the eye and inside the mouth, Gerrie. Reed is a nice touch and adds interest. I might try a version cropping out the perch on the left which would also reduce the softer areas of the image. I'm hoping to get some Mankwe images processed tomorrow.