PDA

View Full Version : Downy

John Chardine
02-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Here's a try at another species of woodpecker- this one the Downy- captured at Little Shimogue, New Brunswick, last Saturday. These birds are perfectly adapted to cold winters, as evidenced by the feathers covering the nasal openings.

The late afternoon light was harsh and there was a lot of branch clutter which I cloned out. There are still too many branches. Still learning a huge amount from the site. Thanks!

40D, 100-400mm @ 400mm. 1/1000s, F10, ISO 640, Dfine noise reduction 50% crop

Axel Hildebrandt
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Exposure control and details look good. I would give it a bit more room left and right and I find the branch sticking out of the back a bit distracting. The dark blue spot left of the chest could be cloned out, too.

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice, I would add that nothing should come out of corners, it only emphasizes the rectangular shape of the frame.
Thanks for sharing!

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi John Agree with previous comments Cleaning the bg should not be difficult with the even blue bg

I kept looking at the image and there was something that was bothering me focus wise You go the point of critical focus on the shoulder not the eye With the f 10 setting there was enough dof to render the eye sort of sharp Go for the eye and recompose !!!

Gary Roberts
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Very nice details in the feathers and great colors John. The large branch in the back is intrusive but the others don't bother me.

Fabs--I didn't realize that about objects from the corners, I thought diagonals in images were good things.

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Very nice details in the feathers and great colors John. The large branch in the back is intrusive but the others don't bother me.

Fabs--I didn't realize that about objects from the corners, I thought diagonals in images were good things.

Gary, diagonals are fine. Shooting out of corners is not fine :)