PDA

View Full Version : Merge or Flatten

Ray Rozema
04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi

I have simple question. In PS what is the difference between "merging visible layers" vs "flattening an image"

Thanks
Ray:)

Christopher Miller
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
"Flatten image" will merge all the layers into one discarding any layers that are hidden, while "merging visible layers" will only merge the layers that are visible leaving any hidden layers intact.

Dug Threewitt
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Also, you can still mask and add layer effects to the merged result where if you flatten, it becomes the background layer and you'd have to take 1 more step to make it a floating layer(drag the lock to the trashcan).

Ray Rozema
04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks

Ray:)

Don Hamilton Jr.
04-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Chris, thks for your time in answering here, where can i learn more to understand the layers system, and to get more clarification on your above statments, i'm a newbie to PS, and have CS4.. thks don

Christopher Miller
05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Don, Sorry for not responding sooner. I only just noticed your post. A good place to start might be Photoshop help, that's how I learned the basics about the various features in PS(I have CS2). You could also try googling "photoshop layers."

William Malacarne
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Don

You can go to youtube and search for something like "tutorial photoshop layers" if you want to see some videos. Or if you want to get pro type lesson you can join a group like Lynda.com or Kelby.com and I am sure there are others.

Bill