PDA

View Full Version : Green and Rufus Kingfisher

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
This image was taken at Tortugureo on the east coast of Costa Rica or Caribbean side. We were on a boat going through the rainforest when we spotted this kingfisher. It is quite uncommon and leans towards the rare. It rarely flies or perches above eye level and needless to day we were thrilled to see this little beauty. As I mentioned it was photographed from a boat during a slight rain.

Nikon D3
Nikon 500 mm F4
ISO 500
1/160, F4
manual

All comments are appreciated and thanks !

Peter Farrell
04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Judy. You certainly were fortunate to see and photographthis beautiful bird. I really like the design on its breast. Bird and perch look really good, nice pose and eye contact. There are a few vertical marks in the Bg that could be cloned out.
Peter

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks Peter for your comments. The vertical lines you mentioned is the falling rain drops and as you mentioned they could be cloned out but it was raining and I decided to leave them in. Again many thanks for looking.

stuart wanuck
04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
welcome back what a large nose good image

Ray Rozema
04-28-2010, 08:22 PM
What a bird. I like the rain drops. Good pose and eye contact for such a difficult species. The underside of the bill near the throat looks little different ?cookie cut look
Thanks very much for sharing
Ray

James Yule
04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I just think this is such a cool bird, very nice image Judy

Ken Lassman
04-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Welcome back....nice capture of this little guy....love the BG and the perch...and knowing you... I bet you hand held your 500...;)

Greg Basco
04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi, Judy. Way cool to get a good look at this species. I'll bet you all were excited. I really like the light, BG, and raindrops on this one as it speaks well to the habitat there. Did you do any noise reduction? It looks to me like noise reduction might have robbed you of some feather detail.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Harshad Barve
05-05-2010, 07:45 AM
what a beautiful species and what an excellent image
TFS