PDA

View Full Version : Greenie Agave Cactus

Charles Wesley
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Last year I chain sawed down some of my overgrown cacti. Developed a bad case of allergic dermatitis on my arms and legs. I put myself on topical cortisone as it was the only thing that controlled to a certain degree the severe itching. I have loads of respect for this plant now so to get back at it, I tried to show some of its beauty. Here's an image taken this morning on a breezy day. Learned loads of information from Reiner Munguia during his macro course during Florida's Birding & Fotofest here in St. Augustine last week.

Canon 5D Mk 11, Sigma 180 mm. f/3.5 APO HSM DG EX macro lens, Canon 550 EX flash MP, Macro flash bracket made with Stroboframe flash bracket, 42 " PhotoFlex diffuser and Bogen tripod. My exposure was 1/15 sec. @ f/25 ISO 200. 1:3 Life size magnification.

D.P.P. 3.8
PS/CS 4
SS

Enjoy...

Ken Childs
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey Charlie, I really like the subject and details. I think that maybe a slight CW rotation might get some better diagonal lines going and that would also get rid of the dark stripe on the right side.

Charles Wesley
04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate your imput. Knew something was confusing in my image. Note several surfaces on this plant look like sandpaper was used on this plant.

Did a repost for another look...

denise ippolito
04-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Charles, I like the repost. The layers of colors combined with the pattern on the one layer look very nice.

Daniel Cadieux
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
The repost is much cleaner, very appealing. I like how the image is split in similar yet distinctive thirds.

Julie Kenward
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I also think the repost is better - and what a lovely portrait you've created here, Charlie! It's texture and "thirds" leave enough of an abstract that the eye is kept moving around. Very well done.

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 05:06 AM
The repost is the one. You captured the sandpaper texture. Nice study in greens and forms and textures and lines. Nicely done. Too bad about the skin problems.

Charles Wesley
05-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Denise, Daniel, Jules and Anita,

Thanks I enjoyed photographing this plant. It was very windy. My Rod Planck PhotoFlex diffusers helped compress the light and help with the wind. Angled flash also helped with the wind and reveal the texture and form of this light. Plan on some more agave macros but must start painting the house today. You know what they say about home ownership...

Roman Kurywczak
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Charlie,
Repost is definitely the one! Very nice job seeing this in the first place.

Charles Wesley
05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Roman,

Got lucky on finding this one. Was iritated with the wind...

Charles Wesley
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Roman,

Wasn't sure of contrast so I used my flash and Topaz Adjust.
Thanks for the kind comments...

Susan Candelario
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Charles,
Nicely captured. I agree with the comments above and prefer the re-post as well. As mentioned above I also thought a slight CW rotation would make an already good image a bit more dynamic. Let's see what you think.
~Susan