PDA

View Full Version : The Morning Hunt

Manvir Randhawa
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
http://gallery.manvirrandhawa.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9821&g2_serialNumber=2

It was just around sunrise....

<table class="gbDataTable"><tbody><tr><td class="gbEven">Make </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Canon </td> <td class="gbEven"> Model </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Canon EOS 7D </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Aperture Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> f/5.7 </td> <td class="gbEven"> Color Space </td> <td class="gbOdd"> sRGB </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Exposure Bias Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 0.33 EV </td> <td class="gbEven"> Exposure Program </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Shutter Priority </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Flash </td> <td class="gbOdd"> No Flash </td> <td class="gbEven"> Focal Length </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 300 mm </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> ISO </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 250 </td> <td class="gbEven"> Metering Mode </td> <td class="gbOdd"> Multi-Segment </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="gbEven"> Shutter Speed Value </td> <td class="gbOdd"> 1/130 sec</td></tr></tbody></table>

Randy Stout
04-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Manvir:

This is a challenging image to capture well, because of the light, dark bird and shooting angle.
The prey item is good.

The bird is underexposed, needed more + compensation because of the light background.
The perch is a bit overpowering because of its location, and the high contrast against the sky.

The bird is not quite critically sharp to me. I do think with this camera you could have pushed the ISO up substantially, giving you more shutter speed and aperture flexibility.

It does convey the early morning light situation.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Good observations/suggestions by Randy. This was indeed a tough situation to photograph this bird. With the bright BG lots more +EC was needed...to the point of completely blowing out the sky. Another option would have been using some flash. Steep angle is not the best either...I know it can be tough, but if there is any way to wait for the bird to come down to eye level (or attract it down) this would yield much better results.

P.S. Where was this taken, and what species is this?

Doug Brown
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Good points by both Randy and Daniel. I would think another 1 to 1 2/3 stop of EC would have helped here. Don't be afraid to push that ISO above 250.

Manvir Randhawa
05-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the Comments :)

Daniel,

This was taken at Chandigarh quite near my house. This birds is a Jungle Babbler.

Cheers
Manvir