PDA

View Full Version : Does this work

Dumay de Boulle
04-28-2010, 04:02 AM
I really like this image, not sure if the light coming through the back of the tree is too much. It was shot a Kruger National Park. This Vervet Monkey sat posing in a tree for me. It was when I first started photography in Oct 09. I was still shooting in Jpeg.

Canon 50D
Canon 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4 ext
f4
ISO 1000
238 mm
Manual WB

Grant Atkinson
04-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Hi Dumay, I really liked the composition, this is a strongly evocative image of what can be a common animal in Southern Africa. The inclusion of the turned hand just adds to it even more. I think the blown highlights are distracting, but it is still a good shot. Perhaps some of the PS wizards on this forum can take them out cleanly? I would like to see the result!
TFS
Grant

Marc Mol
04-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok, I've had a quick edit here:
The bright highlight is well blown and difficult to eliminate.
Selectively reduced the exposure by 1/2 stop and brought out some details and shadow in the face.
Still a nice pensive look on this Vervet, well portrayed.

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/850489134_DkPTY-XL.jpg

Steve Kaluski
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Dumay

These monkeys always remind me of wise old men, with truck loads of character. you have capture an intense moment here, however like so many of these images we end up with a hotspot exactly where we don't want it. Not great, as I am away at present, but if you sample an area that has some colour to it, make a new layer a fill with the colour then create a mask and burn it back in, it kind of works. By lowering the opacity you can vary the strength. Used some highlight/shadow and added a bit more USM on the eyes & part of the face. Re cropped to give a bit more focus. All a very personal POV. basic I know, but hope it illustrates the point.

Steve

Dumay de Boulle
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys for the input...I suppose its one of those images you love but in the terms of the rules of photography its lacking....:o:)

Steve Kaluski
04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Dumay, do not get yourself bound up by Rules, it will turn into a straight jacket and will hinder your development.

Steve :)

Todd Frost
04-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Very nice pose from the little guy. Agree with Steve on the so called rules. They are only guidelines or suggestions that have been time tested and are appealing to the human eye. This image has plenty of appeal in it's on right. The above re-posts give you some great ideas of a direction to take this and make it even better. It may be one you set aside for now until your pp skills and or software are up to the task (if you are not comfortable or able at this time). Nice comp and sharpness. Well worth the effort to tweak a little. TFS
Todd

Marc Mol
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi Dumay

These monkeys always remind me of wise old men, with truck loads of character. you have capture an intense moment here, however like so many of these images we end up with a hotspot exactly where we don't want it. Not great, as I am away at present, but if you sample an area that has some colour to it, make a new layer a fill with the colour then create a mask and burn it back in, it kind of works. By lowering the opacity you can vary the strength. Used some highlight/shadow and added a bit more USM on the eyes & part of the face. Re cropped to give a bit more focus. All a very personal POV. basic I know, but hope it illustrates the point.

Steve

Well done Steve, much better than my feeble attempt.:(

Harshad Barve
05-02-2010, 06:51 AM
lovely image and reposts
TFS