PDA

View Full Version : Harbour Seals

Jamie Douglas
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
This is an old one of mine but I wanted to post it to see what comments folks could provide. I also havent posted on here for sometime so thought it was about time I made an appearance. Been moving house.

This was taken at Seal Rock on Howe Sound, British Columbia. Post editing done in lightroom.

Image details...

Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Date/Time 11/10/2008 1:23:00 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/1000
Av( Aperture Value ) 2.8
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Focal Length 200.0mm

Sabyasachi Patra
04-28-2010, 03:36 AM
I wish for more details in the face. You could have traded off some shutter speed for a narrower aperture and got more depth of field. I think plain black and white as well as colour version would have been better.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Grant Atkinson
04-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Hi Jamie, I agree with Sabyasachi regarding more DOF. I really liked the composition, and also the fact that the seals are looking at you. The right hand seal has an especially interested look. I would try darken the bright white on the side of the right had seal.
Very pleasing image and unusual colours in your background for us Africans
cheers
Grant

Todd Frost
04-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Agree with above re: dof. Boosting iso as well as trading ss for aperture would have been beneficial. You got good eye contact, needs more detail throughout image. TFS
Todd

Jamie Douglas
04-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, this was taken long before I discovered this forum and now that my knowledge is better I would definetly not be as reluctant to crank up the ISO and go for a narrower aperture. All part of the learning experience I guess and being on a boat one relies on a bit of luck. Since joining this site my ability to think quickly on the spot has improved dramatically and while we need luck to some degree (getting the eye contact), knowing how to tackle a shot is crucial.