PDA

View Full Version : Landscape photograph is all about luck

Desmond Chan
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey, he said that:

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/

This is perhaps the most important lesson of all. A good friend of mine, Bill Fortney (http://www.billfortney.net/Welcome.html) (one of the greatest landscape photographers I know) has a very cool story to demonstrate this lesson. He was once asked “Bill, how do I get photos like yours?” He told the person that they probably weren’t going to like the answer but it was very simple in nature. He said the way to get photos like his was to go to every one of those landscape monuments and national parks 25 times over the course of their life. At some point, the weather, conditions, clouds, sun, light, etc… will all fall into alignment for you to get that great shot. Simply put, great landscape photos involve a lot of luck. And I mean A LOT! If you’re out on a portrait or studio shoot and things aren’t going right, you have a bunch of factors you can change. You can change location, wardrobe, and even lighting if you’re comfortable enough to use flash. But with landscapes, there’s not a darn thing you can do if you get out there and the fog is thicker than pea soup.:D:D

No, it wasn't Scott.

I just post.

Tom Graham
04-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Luck plays a big part in -every- area/aspect of our life. Smart people know when it happens and how to use it.
Tom

Sabyasachi Patra
04-28-2010, 04:08 AM
Agree with Tom. You need to know the right season, days when the weather is likely to help you in getting dramatic skies. It is ofcourse true that we won't be able to predict everything. So the more one visits a place, the more are the chances of getting good images.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sandra Nykerk
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
F22 and be there. Pay attention to the weather forecast. Many landscape photographers follow the storms in order to photograph dramatic light. Luck or understanding light? Research and educate yourself about the Place. Don't show up in the afternoon to photograph a waterfall that faces east -- unless it's a cloudy day. Don't go to Yellowstone in May to shoot fields of flowers that don't bloom until June. Know how to switch gears when you don't have the conditions you had hoped for. Luck is always a welcome gift, but is only a small part of the landscape equation.

Dave Leroy
04-30-2010, 08:42 AM
I think this thought was expressed by Denzel Washington, "Luck happens when opportunity and being prepared meet".
That also sounds like what Bill Fortney was saying.

Steve Shapiro
05-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I would say that although landscape photography does involve a great deal of luck, in many cased good shots can be had, maybe not great, but with wildlife photography- more luck is involved. Finding that elusive owl, rare bird, wolf ect. That really involved a great deal of luck!!!

Arthur Morris
05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
You can be the luckiest photographer in the world but if you do not know what you are doing both artistically and technically it will not do you any good. Followed the link could not find the quote. Who said it?

Desmond Chan
05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Followed the link could not find the quote. Who said it?

It was Matt Kloskowski quoting a story of Bill Fortney on the April 27 blog (click on "older posts" way down at the bottom).

A link to Bill Fortney's site:

http://www.billfortney.net/Images.html