04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro w/12mm tube and 1.4x extender
Av mode
1/8"
F2.8
ISO: 100
LR & CS3

Lit from below with an LED flashlight. Used NR and surface blur to soften. It was pretty bright in the LR so I lightly cloned over that area with some blue and then burned it a bit.

Daniel Cadieux
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Very interesting perspective...almost underwater-like. I like the backlighting method - hadn't thought of that before:cool:. I know it's the flower's natural intensities and contrasts, but I'm wondering if the larger dark blue area could be softened a bit? Well seen, I like the idea alot.

Julie Kenward
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Ken, this is a beautiful and intimate look at an iris. My favorite part is the little stamen in the FG - so beautiful and perfectly sharpened. They catch my eye but don't feel over done.

That said, I think there are a few small things that would make this image even stronger. First, some of the area in the extreme FG to the left of the stamen feels brittle because it appears to be oversharpened. I'd back off that if you can. I also would tone down the darkest spot on the left petal - it really pulls my eye away. My last thought is the yellow area - is there any way to get the murkiness out of it and have a bright yellow puddle there in the center? I think that would take it over the top.

Christopher Miller
04-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Very beautiful colors and comp, Ken. I love the soft BG, and I think Jules' idea of brightening up the yellow would take it over the top.

Roman Kurywczak
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey Ken,
Love the fact you are pushing the light boundaries also! I think Jules brings up some great points.......very nice job on the unique perspective.