PDA

View Full Version : High Key Bud

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
As a workshop leader, my favorite thing to do is teach and show people some new ideas and tricks to try out. I set this bud up against the setting sun to show a few others my in the field high key approach. I love that "ah haaa" moment in thier eyes!

All done in camera with very minor post processing. Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro for 1/60th sec at f20 and ISO 800 with the MT24 twin flashes at +1&2/3

denise ippolito
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
WOW! Now that is fantastic! I love the high key but what I love most about this is the interesting subject and the f/20:)Very well done.

Desmond Chan
04-28-2010, 01:12 AM
I guess it has something to do with the light...because it reminds me of some drawings I've seen in textbooks :)

Great details and effective composition !

Charles Wesley
04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Roman,

Most excellent work here. Love all those colors and detail. The MT24 and your technique really " pops " this image. Like the yellows against the greens. Go f/20 as Denise says.

Thanks for sharing...

Michael Zajac
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
You nailed this one. I love the high key look and sharpness.

Dave Woeller
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
You're going to force me to save up for one of your workshops aren't you!!!

Ken Childs
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Roman, this is great! While I can't exactly say this bud is beautiful, it's really interesting and the detail in this shot is fantastic!

Julie Kenward
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Outstanding, Roman. I personally think I'd like this even better as a vertical but the details here in the petals, stamen, etc. is excellent.

Anita Bower
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Gorgeous. I love all that is going on in this image. All those shapes and curves and little hairs, all contained within the calmly curving bud.

How much of the lovely detail is the result of using flash? (Pls. say not much because I really, really don't want to buy and use a flash.)

Christopher Miller
04-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Perfection, Roman. :) Great composition and high-key, and I love all the details and colors.

Roman Kurywczak
04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Gorgeous. I love all that is going on in this image. All those shapes and curves and little hairs, all contained within the calmly curving bud.

How much of the lovely detail is the result of using flash? (Pls. say not much because I really, really don't want to buy and use a flash.)

Thanks all! Jules....I also like it....but since I shot it horizontal....kept it that way.

Sorry Anita!!!.....if I didn't use flash....this was backlit, outside and rather windy....so not possible sharp w/o the flash. I love, love, love, flash! Why? Because the 3 or 4 days that I can actually shoot natural light outside during the year.....aren't enough for me. I learned flash the hard way....film....lots of $$$ and lots of frustration but learning. In todays digital age....nothing to fear anymore.....learning is now quuick and free! I constantly push my flash techniques.....just for fun now! With your skill and dedication....flash will be a breeze! A one time purchase (highly recommend the twin flashes) will really open up your eyes to a whole new world!!!
Thanks all again,
Roman

Anita Bower
05-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Thanks for your reply re. flash. What you say makes sense. Sigh..........

Vida van der Walt
05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Love the fine detail in this Roman.:)