View Full Version : hosta#3

OvidiuCavasdan
04-27-2010, 03:05 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/COV_2006/IMG_3710R.jpg
40D, EF 100mm Macro
F/2.8
1/400 sec
ISO 400
...and the last one from the "hosta" series. Hope that it was not too boring and thank you all for comments.

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey Ovidiu,
I don't know what it is about this image.....but while I find the curve extremly pleasing and interesting.....this doesn't work as well for me as your other hosta images. Perhaps the central white is too bright???....or perhaps that....dare I say it....it is too sharp in the center and takes away my focus from the swirl??? Let's see how other feel and I will think about this one some more.

Nick Palmieri
04-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I like the curves and I like the green and white. I also think the central leaf is bright.

Julie Kenward
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Ovidiu, this reminds me of the top of an ice cream cone! I do like it very much but I kind of see what Roman's saying. I think a very slight tone down on the brightest white area (and I do mean slight) would make the image feel more cohesive between the main area and the BG. I have totally enjoyed your series and will be dragging in some hostas from my front yard next week while I'm on vacation to to see if I can come up with anything as wonderful as these have been.

Christopher Miller
04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Very nice series, Ovidiu, not boring at all! Love the swirling curve of the leaf. I think Roman has a good point on toning down the white a little or perhaps having a slightly softer focus.

Now I've got to check out our hostas and see if I can get anything as good as these! :D

Ed Cordes
04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
All suggestions above are good ones. I, like the others, really like the curve of the leaf.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks for comments and suggestions.
Unfortunately yesterday was a very busy day and could not spend more time around this leaf so I did not shoot different compositions or settings. As the young hosta leaves grow they are showing different curves and lines everyday, so I'll keep searching for something interesting on this one or on the other variegated hostas that are now begining to show leaves:)

Stuart Frohm
04-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks very much for the beautiful photography and the inspiration to look at the photographic possibilities offered by the young hostas in our yard.

Anita Bower
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Not boring at all. Your creativity with this Hosta is most inspiring.