PDA

View Full Version : Juvie Ring Billed Gull

Dave Phillips
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Was shooting a few of the ring bill gulls(not real common in NW La)
earlier this month and grabbed this one. Full frame of a very feisty juvenile.
Notice the juvie tan striation changing to the gray color on the left wing.
One oof gull was cloned from behind the bill.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2mw5hqa.jpg
1/1250, F/5.6, ISO 400, AV, +.67EV, 400mm.....out the van window!

Thank you for comments/critique

Jim Poor
02-28-2008, 07:00 PM
The look back makes this one work well. The spread tail is good too.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I like the pose and eye contact and wish for a catchlight. The horizontal line in the BG is a bit distracting and the OOF birds don't add to the image, either. Keep them coming!

Bonnie Block
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Dave, very sharp and well exposed. The lookback is a plus! Other nits have been mentioned--but a very nice image.

Dave Phillips
02-29-2008, 01:47 AM
thanks guys and Bonnie

I like the pose and eye contact and wish for a catchlight. The horizontal line in the BG is a bit distracting and the OOF birds don't add to the image, either. Keep them coming!
Thanks Axel, this is the kind of feedback I need......is there a secret to adding a catchlight that looks "natural"

Axel Hildebrandt
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
thanks guys and Bonnie

Thanks Axel, this is the kind of feedback I need......is there a secret to adding a catchlight that looks "natural"

I usually don't add catchlights but you could select one pixel using the lasso tool and make it white and adjust it a bit to make it look natural or like fill flash. Maybe something like this. The OOF gulls flew away, too. :)

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Someone (Fabs I think?) mentioned a technique for adding a catchlight using a soft brush and low opacity. I'll look for the link...

Found it: Fourth post in this thread: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=42073&highlight=catch+light#post42073

Dave Phillips
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks much Axel ...... Some days are so dull, there is barely enough light for clean shooting. Have tried adding catchlights in the past, but never able to get the natural look.
Thanks too Jim.....off to read the other thread now