PDA

View Full Version : Southern Black Flycatcher

Roberto Betta
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I spent at one stage an hour every day after work trying to capture a descent photograph a Southern Black Flycatcher. In time you get to read their favorite perches, this branch being one of them which has since been cut down and coincidently probably my best photo of a Flycatcher to date. Thank you for looking!

Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Lens: Canon 600mm f/4L IS USM and Canon 1.4x II Extender
Focal Length: 840mm
Program: Aperture Priority
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed: 1/400
Exposure Compensation: 0
Support: Car door rest

Matthew Gaige
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the effort, it is a very good shot. I would think that the exposure for this bird would be difficult to catch correctly. For a "black" bird there is good detail in the wings, and the perch is not overblown. Did you always park your car in one spot?

Don Lacy
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Roberto nice detail and exposure on the Flycather the HA looks good and I like the light. Only suggestion would be to tone down the perch especially the lower part of it.

Ricardo Rodriguez
04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Roberto, nice detail on the bird's plumage. Agree on toning down the perch. Also, would brighten the dark blotch of bg on the left; otherwise a nice bg. Good job!

Ricardo

Steve Canuel
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Nicely detailed. I like the look back pose, the complimentary BG color, and the way the perch frames the bird on the side.

Roberto Betta
04-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I fully agree that the perch does need some attention.

Matthew, there were a handful of perches the Flycatcher rested on and each one I followed with my vehice but generally I stayed in one spot waiting for Flycatcher to return as it had a cycle/routine that it followed. This perch however was my favourite as it was more natural and level. Other pirches included fencing, telephone wires and other trees which cast shadows on the bird from the leaves. Thanks again!