PDA

View Full Version : dutch landscape

Jeroen Wijnands
04-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Shot about 90 minutes after sunrise. I had a hard time getting a good exposure on the sky and the ground. In the end I bracketed and ran it trough photomatix trying to get it to look natural. I had doubts about the fence, in the end I decided to include it because I felt it amplified the diagonal line of the water.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4530767720_7527a1f8f1_b.jpg

Nikon d300 + Nikon 28-105
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/402)
Aperture: f/11.0
Focal Length: 35 mm
ISO Speed: 200

Dave Mills
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi, good exposure along with a moody feel to the image. You handled the sky well but it's taking up over half the frame and not offering much interest. I would crop over half of it off.
I like the water used as a leading line but the gate does bother me.
The comp might have worked better with less room on the right and more on the left. Also showing the whole all the water moved back a bit from the fence. Hard to know for sure unless I could play with the comp myself...

Jeroen Wijnands
04-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks Dave, if I was completely sure I wouldn't have posted. :)

Also showing the whole all the water moved back a bit from the fence. Hard to know for sure unless I could play with the comp myself...

I don't quite understand what you mean with the above, could you clarify a bit?

Dave Mills
04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
It looks like the water also ends on the lower left. It might have been better moving back and getting all the water in with the gate not cut and being part of the foreground. Alot is weighted on the left...

Jeroen Wijnands
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Ah, ok I see. Well, I did have some constraitns shooting this but that's no real excuse. Thanks again Dave!

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Wiijnands, (hope that is your name)
Send Alfred Forns a PM if you need to change it as we want to have real names here.
I think Dave covered all my recommendations nicely. I will recommend if you really want to do landscapes.....the Graduated Split ND filter (soft edge is my preference) is a must! If possible, I agree with Dave.....stepping back and getting more of the gate.....would have been the way to go.

Gerald Kelberg
04-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Hey neighbour!
I spend a lot of time in the Netherlands, so really appreciate the beauty of the countryside there.
I'm wondering if you couldn't perhaps crop the grass from the bottom so the water is the edge, and also crop some of the gate and then mask that bit over the water to loose it completely.
The open sky is an important part of the Dutch landscape to me - the flat land and big sky, so I wouldn't want to loose too much of it if I was you. But maybe some.
I'm just a learner here myself and thinking out loud;)

Gerald

Gerald Kelberg
04-28-2010, 05:31 AM
This is what I had in mind... for what it is worth.

Gerald