Ken Childs
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 40mm
Av mode
1"
F22
ISO: 100
Canon 430EX: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
LR & CS3

BG is black foam core. Shot indoors mainly with natural window light. I'm using the flash mostly to get a bit of light to the left side of the flower. The window is to the right and there's white foam core to the left.

I put the question mark after the color in the title because I can't remember the real name of this iris variety and when it's next to something blue, it looks purple and when next to something purple, it looks blue. I think that's the unofficial way to tell if something is periwinkle. :)

I also did a high-key version with this flower but prefer this one.

Julie Brown
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow, Ken. That color is intense, and the detail and texture is beautiful. Great job on the lighting too!:)

Desmond Chan
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Pretty colors ! Good fill-flash ! The only thing I would do, if this were mine, was to darken the bud and the stem a bit.

Good work !

OvidiuCavasdan
04-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Love that color! Very good lightining and details. I like the composition and it looks great against the dark BG.

Anita Bower
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM
What a beauty! I love this Iris! The blue looks stunning against the black bg. (Was it a typo in your description that you used white foam core?) I love the little "hairs" peeking out. Great use of flash.

Stuart Frohm
04-27-2010, 06:40 AM
This is yet another superb image!
Thanks very much for posting it.
If you also photographed this from other angles, I'd enjoy seeing those images.
I've had some challenges with accurate rendition of some blues. This inspires me to try photographing irises against black foam core.

Ken Childs
04-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Was it a typo in your description that you used white foam core?
Oops!:o

denise ippolito
04-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Ken, Nice work with the composition and the black BG looks great. I might darken the BG a bit more -I am seeing some artifacts.(not much but a little). I like the dramatic look and the inclusion of the bud.

Ken Childs
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Denise, I was looking at this shot earlier on my wife's uncalibrated laptop which seems to be on the bright side and noticed some things in the LR. Is this where you are seeing the artifacts?

denise ippolito
04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes Ken. And some more on right side. My monitor is calibrated correctly and I can see only some small spots and specks. On my laptop they were more prominent. Just something to note before print.:)

Roman Kurywczak
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey Ken,
Very nicely done with the lighting! You may want to explore aluminum foil or even pot lid for the LH side.....just gives a bit more bounce.
My mom's are starting to pop up (she has many colors).....can't wait to get my hands on them!

Julie Kenward
04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Excellent lighting and comp, Ken. I'm seeing artifacts in the BG as well (or perhaps my monitor is just very dusty?!) I'm seeing them all down the left side - almost like tiny thin spider webs.

Beautiful color and I also like the hairs sticking out and peeking over the edge. Lovely image!

Ken Childs
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't think those are artifacts. My black foam board spent the winter in the garage and got covered with all sorts of junk. I need to clean it and give it a new coat of flat black spray paint. :)

Christopher Miller
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice, Ken! :) Love the black BG and intense colors. Well done.

Susan Candelario
05-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Ken,
Love the color of the flower against the black b/g. I agree with the above post on how to further improve an already beautiful capture. I can't wait for the Irises to bloom around here now.
~Susan