geff bourke
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.bourkephotography.com/Birds/birds%20big/birds171.jpg

Nikon D300
300mm F4
Handheld

Scott Frye
04-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Fun shot to take -- composition wise -- I would like to see more room on the left for the heron to fly into

arash_hazeghi
04-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Welcome to BPN, nice flight pose, ideally you want the bird to fly towards you not away from you. It is also nicer to have space for the bird to fly into as opposed to empty space behind. TFS, looking forward to more

Phil Ertel
04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Geff,

I like the overhead angle of capture which provides us a nice view of the underside of the wings. I agree with Scott and Arash on having the bird flying into the frame. I hope you don't mind but I edited your image in photoshop using techniques from Robert O'Toole/s APTATS 2 ebook to move the bird to our right and a lower in the frame. This gives the bird room to fly into. I also lightened the image and sharpened the bird a little. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
04-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Geoff, good sharpness and you got an OK "gliding" pose. I like the overlapping feathers. Phil's repost is a nice improvement both in exposure and comp. Too bad about the shadow cutting across the body though, but at least it cleared the face.

Don't forget to post the techs along with the equipment you've already included...it helps with critiquing (such as exposure in this case).

Looking forward to more!:)