PDA

View Full Version : Bluebird with catch

Colin Knight
04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure that the perch works for me. Also, it's way more than I want to crop at around 53%. The third problem is that I would prefer to have the lighter part of the background near the bird's head.

Other than that.....I love the eye contact, colors, caterpillar, and background. The caterpillar was still moving, and I had to wait until it didn't obstruct the beak or eye.

7D, 500mm, 1/640 sec, f/4, ISO 200.

http://www.pbase.com/clknight/image/123909712/original.jpg

Arthur Morris
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure that the perch works for me. Also, it's way more than I want to crop at around 53%. The third problem is that I would prefer to have the lighter part of the background near the bird's head. Other than that.....I love the eye contact, colors, caterpillar, and background. The caterpillar was still moving, and I had to wait until it didn't obstruct the beak or eye. 7D, 500mm, 1/640 sec, f/4, ISO 200.

Hey Collin, Did you call today??? I love this image. No flash correct? The BKGR looks pretty darned uniform to me and pretty darned good as well. Head angle and caterpillar angle are perfect. Did you set up this perch?

Colin Knight
04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi, Artie. Yes, I called. I left you a voicemail around 2:30. You are correct, no flash.

The background is formed by some trees down the street about 100 feet. It all blurs into a beautiful green anywhere from f/11 and wider.

What's your opinion on cropping? I think a 53% crop is pushing it. I don't think it would make a good print any larger than 10x15. I would love to get closer but I would be disturbing the nest and I don't want to do that for a second.

Arthur Morris
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi, Artie. Yes, I called. I left you a voicemail around 2:30. You are correct, no flash. The background is formed by some trees down the street about 100 feet. It all blurs into a beautiful green anywhere from f/11 and wider. What's your opinion on cropping? I think a 53% crop is pushing it. I don't think it would make a good print any larger than 10x15. I would love to get closer but I would be disturbing the nest and I don't want to do that for a second.

Sorry that I missed your call. I was napping <smile> Can you call tomorrow early evening say about 7pm eastern time? I am not much on printing cropped images only to say that my belief is that sharp images can be successfully printed much larger than folks think. As far as I know, bluebirds can be quite tolerant of humans.

Colin Knight
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I would rather you miss the call then be awakened by the phone! :D 7PM EST it is. Looking forward to it!

Roberto Betta
04-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Lovely image Colin, quality looks great for such a big crop.

Don Lacy
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi Colin, A 50% crop off a 18 MP camera still give you 9 MP as long as the quality is there in the original you still have plenty of MP for a nice print maybe not a 16X20. The image as posted is very nice with good eye contact and a clean BG and the Cat is a real nice bonus.

Colin Knight
04-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks Roberto. Don, thanks for putting it in that perspective. I've gotten spoiled with 18 MP and lost sight of the fact that 9 MP is still some really good resolution.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Good looking image Colin! It is cropped more than I would personally like too...but IQ looks great. The caterpillar is an awesome bonus. The biggest issue for me here is the area where a twig was snapped off. If this is a set-up you could find a perch that is in better condition.

Colin Knight
04-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Daniel. I just tied an "extended" perch on to the existing one. It's still broken off, but nature did it, not me so I think it will work a little better.

Jaime Seuma
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi Colin

Again, I find it a great picture; I've seen the other pictures -and video- in dpreview and I definitely like them.
Good patience job waiting for the caterpillar to be in position, worth it a very pleasant result.
Regards

Colin Knight
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Jaims? Good to see you on this side my friend.

Arsdel Fluesmeier
04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I see nothing wrong with the perch. You take what you can get. The color of the female is very good.
The worm adds a big plus in IMHO/\.

Arthur Morris
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice chatting. You missed my question about the perch way back. Did you set it up?

The only problem with the perch is the nub near the left frame edge. About two seconds with the Patch Tool would clean that up.

Colin Knight
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
I did set the perch up, Artie. However, recommendations were made to make a more attractive perch. This was done over on the "Eager to Learn" forum as well as here. When I was first getting started with these guys, I posted on Eager to Learn and a lot of good suggestions were provided.

I think I'll post an image over there as a "thank you".

Nice chatting with you as well! Thanks for the wisdom imparted.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Colin, when you make a modification it is best to leave the original as well for comparision. My previous comment about the snapped off twig (which was between the feet) no longer applies for those who haven't seen it before it was replaced;).

P.S. Good job patching it up!!

Colin Knight
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Sorry Daniel. When I makes changes it doesn't effect the posted version on other websites. I see that it does here.

Don't worry, we all know you know what you're talking about. :)

Jaime Seuma
04-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Jaims? Good to see you on this side my friend.
I have been visiting BPN from time to time; when I saw your bluebird picture couldn't help it but write my comment... and start my own thread :-)

Best