PDA

View Full Version : Ding Update - 4/24/10 - Spoonbill Explosion & SW Fla Update

Michael Pancier
04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know if yesterday, 4/24 was a special day vis a vis tides, or perhaps the spoonbills are returning en masse to Ding Darling, but FWIW, there had to be over 25-50 spoonbills congregated along the pond to the right of the observation tower yesterday early in the am around 7:30 am, and again between 6:00pm and 7:30pm in the evening.

In the morning when I arrived, there were about 15 spoons in this area. Interestingly, there were no spoons in the 1st pond on the left which is where I traditionally have seen them this year. That first pond was empty.

The coordinates for where the spoons were is 26.46216667,-82.13333333 for those who are not familiar with the park.

The best time was in the evening as they were in sweet light. By 7:00 or so, the 50 or so spoons starting their take offs towards you - westbound (though about 5-10 of them decided to head towards the north east). You really need to have 2 cameras as you need at least 500mm to photograph the spoons in the mangroves and 300-400 for flight as they were literally flying directly overhead or right next to you....300 would have been better as I clipped a lot of them with 400.

Overall, this year, is a great year for spoons at the park as for the first time in years, I've not been disappointed when I've visited the park (so long as you are there just after sunrise and at least 2 hours before sunset). I've attached an image so you could get an idea of what we had there yesterday.

Apart from the spoonie explosion, in the early am, there was a plethora of white birds in the large pond on the left after the observation tower feeding and going nuts. Long lens needed. Other than that, many osprey nests, a few hawks, but nothing much after that.

Lighthouse beach was pretty dead except for some active osprey nests when I was there mid morning. Blind Pass, dead.

Captiva was cranking with frigatebird action. Many of them flying (saw as many as 6 in group) and flying low even diving to catch fish. I didn't have the camera and it was visible from the South Sea Island Resort which is available only to guests (but if you have a boat you could see them).

There is a lot of songbird activity on Sanibel/Captiva right now, but too difficult to photograph them.

Bunche Beach on Friday morning just after sunrise was pretty dead and the tide was really higher than normal for that time. About a dozen or so shorebirds (plovers, sandpipers, willets) and osprey overhead.

That's it for now.... Live Pink or Die!

Michael Pancier
04-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Here's an image of a partial scene of the egret/heron frenzy.

Matthew Gaige
04-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I appreciate the update. I was looking for a good place to go today. I love the overhead shots these offer along with the nice mangrove background shots available here.

Harold Davis
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
nice update, michael!! looks like you had the perfect storm for birds at ding!!

Matthew Gaige
04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
On your advice I went over to Ding last night, though the count was down I was able to get a couple shots I liked. I was surprised but I did not see any photographers out and around, just a few tourists. It was a little funny last night, put a camera and a big lens with a person and suddenly they are a bird expert with tourists.

I was hoping to meet a few BPNer's. It is so benefical when people use this forum to share their knowledge.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2951

Canon 40D 100-400mm L, 1.4x, monopod

Michael Pancier
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
On your advice I went over to Ding last night, though the count was down I was able to get a couple shots I liked. I was surprised but I did not see any photographers out and around, just a few tourists. It was a little funny last night, put a camera and a big lens with a person and suddenly they are a bird expert with tourists.

I was hoping to meet a few BPNer's. It is so benefical when people use this forum to share their knowledge.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=2951

Canon 40D 100-400mm L, 1.4x, monopod

Glad to hear Matt. Were they in the same pond?

Matthew Gaige
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Your coordinates pointed to the area just to the right of the road as you approach the tower, that was the spot. I had a hard time with exposure since the contrast was so great between the birds and their background. Anyway.. I knew where to look. I normally come over in the mornings and alway look to the left.

Kathy S . Gillentine
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I appreciate the update, I think I will head over there tomorrow.

canyonlight
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Am in the local area for a few days and would appreciate any tips on current good bird photo locations. Thanks in advance.

Stan