PDA

View Full Version : Front yard Chipping Sparrow.

Daniel Cadieux
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
This friendly little urban species is probably the easiest to attract with the use of audio. It took longer for me to set up the perch in an adequately lit area with a good BG than it did for this guy to land right where I wanted. Chipping Sparrows are always a welcome spring sight and sound!

P.S. The BG is as "city" as it gets...my driveway! The darker areas are tree shadows on the pavement. I was sitting with my back against my car's wheel :).

Canon 40D + 100-400L @ 365mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/7.1, ISO 400, +0.7 EC, natural light, handheld, slight crop for comp.

Arthur Morris
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
And to think that I thought it was your backyard! Quite loverly all around including the driveway and the shadows. I wish only that the bird's rear half were angled a bit more so as to be more in profile.

Karl Egressy
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice head turn and eye contact, Daniel. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it Tomorrow.

Colin Knight
04-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Agree with Artie about the bird's position, but I love that "urban" background. The perch is awesome too!

I have a Bluebird nest in my paperbox....it's great when the wildlife comes to you!

Ed Cordes
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Really nice. These little guys are much under appreciated. I like the BG a lot.

Julie Brown
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Nice portrait Daniel. I like the eye contact and feather detail. Just saw one of these cute little birds for the first time in my yard the other day. I'm going to have to try this. Do they just come in for the audio, or will they go for food? I've never seen them at my feeders.

Troy Lim
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I like the shot, the different variation in colors made it interesting.

Stu Bowie
04-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Super pose Dan, and you have nailed the sharpness here. Lovely clean eye, and I like the complimentary BG. Well captured.

Dumay de Boulle
04-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Super detail and BG..Nice soft colours! Nicely done Daniel!

denise ippolito
04-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Beautiful details and composition. To me it looks as if the image could be lightened up a little.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I wish only that the bird's rear half were angled a bit more so as to be more in profile.

I agree with you Artie. Out of three images it let me take while perched on the very part of the twig that I wanted it to, this was the only one where the tail was at least a bit visible. The other two made their way quickly to the trash heap (this one would have made it there too if not for the tail):) I did get an awesome full profile from atop a rock.

Do they just come in for the audio, or will they go for food? I've never seen them at my feeders.

Thanks Julie! These guys love the ground. You may want to try seeds, but keep them on the ground as I don't think I've ever seen them on my feeders either. Even with audio this guy made his approach from the ground, then hopped onto the perch. To note, the perch was no more than 8-10 inches off the ground, with the speakers just below it. Just another FYI: It is also important not to overplay the audio as to not distress the bird(s).

Rod Warnock
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
So very crisp, Daniel !! Pose and placement in frame spot on.
Best regards
Rod Warnock