PDA

View Full Version : Standing Guard

Katie Rupp
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
This image from Doug Brown's Costa Rica Workshop is a favorite on mine because I loved watching the hummingbird antics as they protected and disputed over what they considered "their" territory. Great workshop...thanks, Doug and Greg Basco!

Canon 1dmk3; f6.3, 1/1600; Av +2/3; ISO 800; eTTL -1 2/3

denise ippolito
04-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Katie, As soon as I saw the image I knew it was from Doug's workshop. Very nice sharp details and exposure. I may have brought it down just a little in the frame if it were mine. Very nice pose. Congrats!!!:)

Gal Shon
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Pose, eye contact, sharpness and details, BG and colors are excellent.
I find the flash a bit too strong.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
04-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Katie -
Particularly like the intense facial expression and pose of the HB. Would have preferred some wing separation from the perch and beak - but it all happens in a split second.

If it was mine, I'd mask out the orange spot at bottom or crop tighter.

Agree with Gal about the flash . Was it a setup near a feeder - did you pretest the flash exposures?

Where was it taken (is it a magnificent HB at Savegre)?

Definitely a keeper - thanks for sharing

Katie Rupp
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Katie -
Particularly like the intense facial expression and pose of the HB. Would have preferred some wing separation from the perch and beak - but it all happens in a split second.

If it was mine, I'd mask out the orange spot at bottom or crop tighter.

Agree with Gal about the flash . Was it a setup near a feeder - did you pretest the flash exposures?

Where was it taken (is it a magnificent HB at Savegre)?

Definitely a keeper - thanks for sharing

Thank you, Peter. This was not a setup but it was at Savegre; me and camera with flash on tripod and I agree that less flash would have been better...I'm still learning the technique and I find it difficult to judge from the LCD but I'm learning. I'm glad you like it!

Doug Brown
04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Really like the guarding pose Katie! Agree about the flash, and probably would have gone neutral on the camera exposure. Sure was a fun workshop!