PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Landing - II

Sid Garige
04-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Another image from Lake Blue Cypress scouting trip with Jim Neiger.
Canon 7D 500mm F4
F5.6 1/1200 ISO 800
http://luminepixels.com/bluecypress/bc-453.jpg

Scott Frye
04-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Nice wing action and great foreground. I realize the bird is looking down for the landing but I would like to see the head separate from the body.

Randy Stout
04-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Sid:

I like the overall composition a lot, nice to have a more varied landing area for your osprey.
Very nice pose/wing spread.

The foreground looks a bit sharper to me than the bird. Was this much of a crop, as the IQ is a bit reduced?

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
I love the comp, incoming pose, and natural-looking nest...the mosses are very cool!. Although it may have like this in person, I feel the yellows are a bit strong thus rendering the foliage a bit too aglow. Another very minor point would be to clone out the small twig peeking in at left...this would nicely clean-up the left edge of the frame.

Sid Garige
04-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Sid:

I like the overall composition a lot, nice to have a more varied landing area for your osprey.
Very nice pose/wing spread.

The foreground looks a bit sharper to me than the bird. Was this much of a crop, as the IQ is a bit reduced?

Cheers

Randy

Randy,

This image is a very small crop. Around 85% of full frame. I checked my focus point and it is on right shoulder next to the head. Nest might be in the same plane as subject. On my screen I see osprey much sharper than foreground. Also I selectively burned the foreground to reduce distraction.

Don Lacy
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM
HI Sid, love the angel pose and the surrounding habitat, I would be tempted to clean up a few of the twigs especially the one Daniel pointed out.

Stu Bowie
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Super landing posture Sid, and capturing the full wing spread. I like how the line of the underwings follow the shape of the top of the foliage. The osprey is separated very well from the BG.

Randy Stout
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Sid:

Thanks for the info. I often check the focus point too. Unfortunately, the camera sometimes ends up focusing somewhere else at times, unless you are locked on to a single point autofocus. The pattern modes will often cause it to focus other than where your indicated 'focus point' is. At least with Nikon's.

Since no one else commented on the focus, must just be me:D

Very nice capture.

Randy

Bruce Enns
04-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Great comp and exposure. Love the full flare landing pose. The natural looking nest with vegetation is a plus. Like Daniel, I would consider toning down the bright yellow-greens of the background.

Nice shot Sid!

Cheers!
Bruce

Sid Garige
04-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Sid:

Thanks for the info. I often check the focus point too. Unfortunately, the camera sometimes ends up focusing somewhere else at times, unless you are locked on to a single point autofocus. The pattern modes will often cause it to focus other than where your indicated 'focus point' is. At least with Nikon's.

Since no one else commented on the focus, must just be me:D

Very nice capture.

Randy

Randy,
Due to the nature of background I was shooting single point focus. I do agree with you on focus issue you mentioned with multi point focus system.

thanks
Sid