04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1"
F22
ISO: 100
Exposure comp +2
Canon 430EX: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
LR & CS3

BG is white foam core. Shot indoors with mainly natural window light. Green and yellows
were desaturated quite a bit.

Grahame Hamblin
04-25-2010, 12:49 AM
I like it a lot but wonder if there is too much greenery

Kaushik Balakumar
04-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Simple and neat composition. Certainly liked the high-key approach. However, I feel it might have been better had the whites from BG not bleeded into the edges of the subject. (Probably due to too much light ?)

John Chardine
04-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Love the lightness (both meanings!) of the image. The white BG works perfectly with the pink to generate this look. If you like that sort of thing, I think the Orton Effect would work well on this image.

Ed Vatza
04-25-2010, 06:48 AM
I must be softening in my old age because, while I have never been a fan of high-key/white backgrounds, I do find it pleasing in this composition. I think it works well with the pink. I do however feel that you may have desaturated the greens a bit too much. Your call but I would like to see just a bit more green to the green.

Stuart Frohm
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I admire the image as a whole, and I like the greens. A minor point: I wish there was a bit more detail in the petals at approximately the 9 o'clock position.

denise ippolito
04-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Ken, I love the soft looking colors and the high key look. I think the flower should have been a bit more in focus than the leaves-but this is still very nice.

Julie Kenward
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Very interesting, Ken. I like the comp and the high key look. I also think the greens feel a tiny bit washed out but with more color they might overpower the soft pinks. I would probably take out the smaller set of leaves just below the rose and let the top and lower leaves carry the diagonal line.

Ken Childs
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

John, I do like Orton so I'll give it a try.

Ed, I wasn't much of a fan of high key before I joined BPN but it's growing on me. Maybe seeing the great images posted here is what is changing my mind. :)

Ed & Jules, at first I didn't desat the greens this much but they did seem to be competing with the flower so I kept taking it further and further until I thought it looked right.

Denise, this is a pretty flat setup so everything is in pretty much the same focal plane. I did very little sharpening and the leaves probably look sharper because they're darker and have those veins to add contrast. Maybe I'll try some selective sharpening on the flower but I don't want to do too much because I want to keep it looking relatively soft.

Don Lacy
04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Ken, I am also not a big fan of the high key look but this one works nicely for me for all the reasons mention.

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey Ken,
Part of the high key look is the softer colors......so this works for me on that end.....I also feel the comp balance is there......so this works for me as presented!

Anita Bower
04-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Lovely! I like the high-key treatment, the composition, and, of course, the beautiful rose. I wouldn't change anything. Love it! (I'm going to look for a Knockout rose to add to my garden.)

Ken Childs
04-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Lovely! I like the high-key treatment, the composition, and, of course, the beautiful rose. I wouldn't change anything. Love it! (I'm going to look for a Knockout rose to add to my garden.)
Thanks, Anita.
If you do get some Knockouts, be sure and give them lots of room. For me, they started out as a compromise because all the beautiful roses I brought with me from California weren't handling the heat and humidity of Tennessee but I wanted to have roses. I heard Knockouts did great here so I bought 3 on clearance and planted them in an area that's about 12 feet wide. I now have a solid wall of rose bush that's 15 feet wide, 8 feet tall and 8 feet deep! They're a simple structured rose but what they lack in complexity, they make up for with size and quantity of blooms. There is no reason to spend a bunch on buying large plants so find the smallest ones available.