PDA

View Full Version : a common but incredible food

John Chardine
04-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Still out of season here in Canada but it won't be long!!

Date: 24 April, 2010, Time: 20:51h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM @ 100 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 800, 8s, f/8
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: off, Flash exp. comp.:

Ed Vatza
04-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Looks like strawberry to me! ;) I like the super tight macro composition but the strawberry has a plasticy look to me. I think it may be because it lacks some texture but I'm not 100% certain that is the reason, John.

John Chardine
04-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Ed. I think the look comes from the fact that I tried to light the fruit so that the highlights from the shine would not overpower. I made several attempts before I got the lighting the way I wanted it.

Stuart Frohm
04-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Bravo!
Encore!

Julie Kenward
04-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Mmm...looks good enough to eat! Love the diagonal comp of the way the seeds are lying within the frame, John. Nice control of the reds as well. Agree with Ed that it feels a bit "shiny" but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I see this and think it would be the perfect photo to teach people how to clone little imperfections out of an image before they hit print! :D

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey John,
Pretty cool comp of a very familiar subject! 2 possible solutions to the shiny look........go back to the beginning in post.....and do the reverse s-curve (Robert A has a tutorial in landscape sticky) on it lessening the contrast. You can also try pulling down the brigtness first......now in the field.....break out the polariser, even if it is hand held, to minimize glare. Just a few thoughts for the future.

Ken Childs
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
This would have made me hungry but fortunately I just ate a basket of strawberries. :)

There's a polarizer action available from the Adobe site that works pretty good on removing glare like this. It's no substitute for a real polarizer but since you can't go back in time to shoot this over, it might be worth a try.

Anita Bower
04-27-2010, 04:40 AM
I like it. Love that red and the pattern.

John Chardine
04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Many thanks for all the good comments. The polariser is a thought Roman, and I'll look for the polariser Action suggested by Ken.