PDA

View Full Version : The Ghosts of Barrow Wake

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm back home after grappling with the European travel chaos this week ...:(
Here is my last minute entry for this week's theme - had meant to post more, but was all EuroStar'd out...:eek:
This image is No 11 from a panel of 15 and it represents an inferno. By way of explanation, I have taken the liberty of copying the text below from my website - without it, the image is pretty meaningless, but most people get a little freaked-out when they read the commentary. When I put the panel together I had no inkling of the burning car episode - it was as if the story wanted to be told...

This is the panel that secured my Associateship of the Royal Photographic Society. The story behind the series is as follows:
My first visit to Barrow Wake, a well-known beauty spot near Birdlip in Gloucestershire, was during the heavy snows of last winter. But the beauty of the landscape was not enough to block the unease that I felt whilst there and I was intrigued enough to make several more visits. I used in-camera techniques to convey the story that developed in my imagination, one of disquiet, terror, death and retribution.
In the top row we observe ghostly figures moving uneasily through a dreamlike landscape. Then the nightmare begins. A single image, placed alone in the middle of the panel, induces a sinister change of mood, a looming shadow as the ghosts take centre stage. The bottom row opens with a distant incandescence and the full fury of an inferno is unleashed. The nightmare continues as a solitary ghost is laid bare, turned to ash, a lonely and desolate figure. We see a procession of sorrowful souls that lead to the final image...
I subsequently discovered that in 1993 there was an attempted murder at Barrow Wake. A couple were tied up and put in a burning car which was then pushed over the edge of the escarpment.

50D 28-135mm
ISO 100
f/32 1 sec
Taken in windy conditions at sunset. A curves adjustment by way of PP.
The rest of the panel can be seen on my website. :D
Thanks so much for your C & C's.
Best regards to all,
Nicki

denise ippolito
04-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Nicki, I just checked out the other panels. I love this one the best! It is dark and mysterious and your vision is wonderful. Kudos to you for your Associateship of the Royal Photographic Society:) You must be so proud.

Indranil Sircar
04-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Nicki, this is beautiful. I love the entire series on your website. Very nicely done.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Denise and Indranil, thanks so much for your very kind words, and I really appreciate that you took the time to check out the rest of the panel :)
Best,
Nicki

Ed Vatza
04-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Lines, color, texture, all beautifully captured Nicki!

Mark Fuge
04-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Very nice image and application, Nicki.

The colors are very nice.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Ed and Mark, thanks so much :)

denise ippolito
04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Congrats Nicki, Your image will be our wildcard pick:) for IOTW.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you Denise :)

Cheryl Slechta
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Nicki, congratulations on your Associateship of the Royal Photographic Society - it is a well deserved honor:)
Your website is so wonderful and inspiring - I love the whole series that this image is associated with as well as
all of your other yummy, artistic images.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Cheryl, thank you so much - your very kind comments are much appreciated :)
Best,
Nicki