PDA

View Full Version : Spring Greens

Julie Kenward
04-24-2010, 07:24 AM
I pulled up a Lily of the Valley plant yesterday and photographed the curves of the leaves. When I got it into PS I noticed that the greens had a funky yellow tinge to it that left blotchy areas around the image. I pulled back on the yellow saturation but that only helped so much - then I took the green slider and pushed it all the way to the end, knocking out the magenta and this was the green I came away with. My question is...are the greens too green or do you like it this saturated?

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f5.6 @ 1/40th, ISO 400
Natural shaded outdoor lighting, no flash
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop

Indranil Sircar
04-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Julie, the green looks perfect and natural to me.. I think a touch a yellow tinge makes the difference. I really like the curved edges. Very nice processing.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Julie,

Greetings. I like the lines and pattern, but it looks oversaturated for my taste and I prefer greater color contrast.

The individual channels tell the story:

Blue: Almost no blue in this image, even in the shadows
Red: Very little red above 128 (half intensity)
Green: balanced across the image, but compressed between 32 and 210

Sounds like you are using the Hue/Saturation Control for this adjustment? The Selective Color control might work for you in this instance, if there are problem yellows.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Jules - I love this as presented - bring on the Spring Greens :D
Also love the curves and the comp.
Best,
Nicki

Kerry Perkins
04-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Jules, I think it's lovely and the saturation works just fine for me. Like the flow of the composition also. Have been considering purchasing that lens, looks like you are getting some great results with it handheld!

BTW, I often use the trick of pulling colors completely out of the image using hue/saturation and I personally like the results.

Richard Waas
04-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I love the green.... The comp is awesome!! Congrats!!!!

Julie Kenward
04-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments - both positive and negative.

Michael, I actually changed the colors in ACR so I used the main sliders there - taking the green/magenta slider all the way to the green end and desaturating the yellows under the hue/saturation tab.

denise ippolito
04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Jules, I love the composition and the curved line is special. I think it is almost border line over saturated in some parts but it still works well. Nice work.

Christopher Miller
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Nice comp, Jules. I like all the lines and curves. The color looks pretty good to me.

Ed Vatza
04-25-2010, 05:56 AM
As I said over on FB, I think the color, lines and texture are really great on this one. I like it a lot.