View Full Version : What is It?

Arthur Morris
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Like it? Hate it? One the fence? Why?

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Will share the techs in two days :)

Christopher Miller
04-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Is this a closeup of an egret chick? I like the contrast of the blue and pink feather shafts. Forms a rather pleasing abstract IMO. I think I'd prefer a crop from the left to eliminate the dark LLC.

Roman Kurywczak
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Artie,
I think Christopher got the identity.....and I am still debating the comp. I do agree the dark corner seems out of place with the softer feather pastels but I do wonder if including the RH end of the softer pink petals......even if it meant cropping to a pano? Make sense? unusual and interesting macro.

Hilary Hann
04-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Not sure whether I like it as it is, I find the dark LLC distracts from it and I'm not convinced that the blue feather shafts do much. With my hands I cropped to a pano just below the pink shafts and loved that. In fact, when I looked at it closely, I noticed the band of light half way down the pink shafts and I wondered if there was some way of bringing that up a little. Then there would be the soft white feathers, a band of pink feather shafts, a lighter band of feather shafts deepening to pink again. Might give a rather interesting graphic effect.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Yes chick feathers but the wrong species... Back in a second.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Here's the ORIG. Have at it. Equipment and techs to follow.

Christopher Miller
04-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Is it an anhinga chick?

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
No cigar Christopher.

Don Lacy
04-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Roseate spoonbill chick

Arthur Morris
04-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Way to go Don; pink = bingo! See the April 22nd post on my new and improved (look and functionality) blog (thanks to Peter Kes of Switzerland!) to learn the location of this nest: http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/

Anita Bower
04-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I like the colors, but the overall image does not work for me. I would like to see either more or less.

Arthur Morris
04-27-2010, 05:22 AM
I like the colors, but the overall image does not work for me. I would like to see either more or less.

I agree Anita. That's why I was hoping that either Roman or Hillary would respond. Did you see the original capture in Pane #6?

Anita Bower
04-27-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree Anita. That's why I was hoping that either Roman or Hillary would respond. Did you see the original capture in Pane #6?
I did see the original, but where is the chick's head?

Arthur Morris
04-27-2010, 07:00 AM
The chick's head is out of the frame. See same above. Tech details on the blog. The idea of the original image was to show the wing and new feather details.

Arthur Morris
04-27-2010, 07:02 AM
In retrospect I actually like Pane 8 way better than Pane 1.... The fact that the feathers look so soiled and dirty in close-up bugs me....

Hilary Hann
04-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I've been stuck doing my tax and out of the game however I had a rough attempt to get the effect I had in mind but my vision doesn't translate. I love closeups of skin and animal hair but I'm having difficulty with the bird feathers. One thought is that I've collected too many dead chicks from the garden and so my first reaction wasn't visual but more instinctive. So in the end, like so much in art the opinion of the viewer is very much affected by their experience. As a scientific image of emerging feathers, I would be very positive about having a collection of these types of photos, especially with different species and different coloured skin and feathers. Have I said too much? Hope I've explained my ambivalence though.

Arthur Morris
04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I pretty much agree with you. A good documentation but not very pleasing.