PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Delete?

Arthur Morris
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
What would you do with this one? Technical details to follow. All comments welcome.

Steve Canuel
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd keep. The different shades of blue make for a nice abstract.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Definitely keep, it's such a cool pattern, colors and setting.

Joe Senzatimore
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Keeper for sure. Might take some off the bottom and go for a more "pano" look. The bright bottom pulls the eye out of what is a very strong abstact.

Gary Esman
04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I would keep it. The top almost has a wave effect. Might straighten the horizon first.

Rodney Flowers
04-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I think it is a very interesting abstract. I would keep it. If you like black & white I believe it would make a great black & white abstract.

Troy Lim
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Keeper, abstract feel to it.

Deborah Hanson
04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
It's amazing how many of these I have - not planned:D
For the most part, I do not like blurred images. That said, I have seen a few that I am really drawn to. Since I don't seem to understand the concept, if you don't mind, could you explain
1. In what type of situation does this type of photography work?
2. Should there still be a point of focus, an area that is sharp, that draws a viewer into the photo (like the eye of a bird)?
3. Is it the colors in the background and/or subject(s) that make the images work?

I am sure that there are other aspects that I haven't thought of but I would appreciate any comments that you have to offer.

Whether to keep or delete - if abstract (as commented above) I would keep because of the color gradations.

Thanks in advance
Deb

Harshad Barve
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
keeper for me
TFS

Markus Jais
04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Keeper! Great motion blur and wonderful patterns.

Markus

Loukie Viljoen
04-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Keeper !!!!

Colin Knight
04-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Keep it!!

Funny, I'm still trying to figure out how to get sharp images. Once I get the hang of that, I'll try the abstract stuff. :)

Graham Goddard
04-24-2010, 02:49 AM
Keep, but in my experience, these sorts of images really only work when shown in large format. You cannot appreciate the impact at 800px.

denise ippolito
04-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Artie, It looks fantastic and I would enter it in Nature's Best if it were mine.:)

arash_hazeghi
04-24-2010, 05:24 AM
very nice mood, sure wouldn't delete!!!

Phil Ertel
04-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi Artie,

To answer your first question, I would most certainly keep this image. The color and different shades of horizontal banning combined with the irregular blurred shapes in my opinion, makes this interesting images image with a dreamy mode.

As what would I do with this one; well I not sure it needs anything done to it as I find it very pleasing as presented. I did experiment with multiple adjustments in photoshop however, I did not like any of the results better than your original. My only suggestion/observation is minor and is probably an optical allusion but, the image appears to need a little counter-clockwise-rotation based on the bottom of the dark band. This is probably just my slanted view of the world but, I find myself tilling my head.

The image is certainly a keeper and very creative. Thanks for sharing.

Stu Bowie
04-24-2010, 06:35 AM
I like the layered BG, colours and the overally arty ( pun not intended ) feel works well. If natural, I would still level the line between the light blue/dark line.

Mike Milicia
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Keeper for sure! Maybe call it "Blizzard in Blue" ;)

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Mike. That's a great title. Why didn't I think of that! Thanks :) ;)

Ken Lassman
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Mike's suggested title just reinforces why I moved to Florida. It looks like the Snow Geese blast off at Bosque....and my blurred ones do not look as good as this one. Keeper.

Todd Frost
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I asked my wife and she said it gives her a headache!(she's not into abstracts). Myself, I love it and would keep for sure. TFS
Todd

Hilary Hann
04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Keeper for sure. No question about that in my view. I was interested in Deborah's viewpoint regarding an 'in focus' point of interest as this has been my view in the past also. However, this image is so abstract with so much interest in the patterning, colour tones, and the feelings it evokes that I have no need for anything further.

When I'm in art galleries, this is one of the styles of oil painting that I find I'm drawn to most so I have no reason not to believe that the same style has a legitimate place in wildlife/bird photography. I've just not been able to get a successful rendition … YET! :(

Bob Pelkey
04-24-2010, 11:59 PM
If I looked at this image elsewhere without credit to you, I would think it was captured by Arthur Morris.

Don Lacy
04-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Artie, Wonderful image it forces you to stop and contemplate it to fully appreciate all the different elements it is composed of.

Arthur Morris
04-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Well, I was hoping that at least one person would suggest deleting this one :) It was my very first BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year honored image garnering Runner-Up in the Composition and Form category in the 1998 contest and a plane ticket to London. I named it "Blizzard in Blue" soon after creating it at Bosque in early DEC 1994 less than two weeks after the death of my beloved wife Elaine. (Thanks to Mike Milicia for not spoiling my fun). Tripod-mounted 400mm f/5.6L lens with probably the A1 or T-90 body.... Fuji Velvia pushed on stop at 1/15 sec. I was most proud of the fact that all of the other photographers--there were at least 15 of them--were sitting in their cars on that cold, drizzly morning. This image is in the original "Art of Bird Photography." I was sort of amazed that nobody recalled it.

About two days later I created the somewhat more iconic "Fire in the Mist." Elaine must have been watching over me as she still does.