PDA

View Full Version : Weeds, Weeds, Everywhere

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
My poor father...grew up with the middle name of WEED because it was my grandmother's maiden name. Poor man. :eek: But I think of him every time I look out on my lawn and see it covered in these...

Spring. Even the weeds are pretty! :) You gotta love it!

Canon 40D, Lensbaby (aperture ring = 8, both the +4 & +10 macro adjusters on)
1/50th, ISO 400
Natural light, pattern metering, handheld
Adjusted the yellow hue to the golden side a bit and desaturated the yellows in ACR. 25% crop.

Cheryl Flory
04-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Julie, you can make even a dandelion look great!
I love that even though the image is all one color, there is still a lot of detail in it and my eye keeps moving around the image seeing all the details.

the images on this forum are just amazing! I've been shooting, but can't get anything! But love seeing what all of you are doing. wow!

Kaushik Balakumar
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Very beautiful image & nicely controlled yellows.
Am curious about the lenses you've used to make this image.
Were they (100mm macro lens & the lens baby) used simultaneously ?

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
No, Kaushik. When you use one of the three versions of the Lensbaby (mine is called "The Composer") then you don't use a macro lens. You put the Lensbaby on your camera (Nikon or Canon versions) as any regular lens and then you insert an aperture disc (I used f8). Finally, you can purchase a macro "kit" that works like extension tubes but they go in front of the lens instead of behind (they screw on the front). The Lensbaby, by itself, will not produce macro images - the kit you can purchase separately converts the regular lens into a "macro." It's very close to using extension tubes except you can distort the lensbaby by twisting and turning it and that creates a blurred effect in places while a "sweet spot" stays clear.

If you're interested in purchasing one, contact Mike Moats - he can save you 10% off your purchase. ;)

Kaushik Balakumar
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
... gotta love it!

Canon 40D, EF100mm f/2.8 macro & Lensbaby (aperture ring = 8, both the +4 & +10 macro adjusters on)
1/50th, ISO 400
Natural light, pattern metering, handheld
Adjusted the yellow hue to the golden side a bit and desaturated the yellows in ACR. 25% crop.

Oh ok - now I get it. I got confused reading your first post where you mentioned EF100mm f/2.8 macro.

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Oops...my bad! :o

Cheryl Flory
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
are you saying, Julie, that the EF100mm f/2.8 macro should not be listed?

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Yup, I'll edit it back out. Habit to list it, I guess!

Roman Kurywczak
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey Jules,
You know I struggle with the shallow DOF's.....but you did put it to great use here! The soft textures.....even though monochromatic......works effectively. I've got plenty of subjects to try it on too!

Christopher Miller
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Very lovely image, Jules! Love how you filled the frame with yellow(that happens to be my favorite color! :)). Nice soft details and feel. Only think I might change would be to add a bit more room on the top if you have it.

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Christopher, I do have more room but it's high key white. I'll play around with it and see if I can blend it in somehow. Thanks everyone!

Roman, don't be afraid of the shallow end of the pool. The water's just as warm at this end... ;)

Vida van der Walt
04-24-2010, 02:22 AM
No Jules, no complaing about weeds. You've looked forward to spring for so long and you can't have one without the other.;):D Lovely image and ditto on capturing a lot of definition within a limited colour range. The yellows look great too and the comp is perfect as always. I'm always happy when I find dandelions on my lawn as they are very nutritious and great food for my Bearded Dragon.:)

Anita Bower
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Really lovely! Excellent job with yellows. Everything works for me. Glad to see you using the lens baby. I have lots of these happy flowers in my yard too.

Julie Kenward
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Vida, I should have GUESSED you'd have a dragon as a pet! :D;):D

Vida van der Walt
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
:D She is such a dear little animal Jules. It has been getting colder here and she has gone to sleep for the duration of the winter.:)

Ken Childs
04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Jules, you're getting some great stuff with that LB! The comp is great and those yellows look outstanding!

I feed dandelions to my Egyptian Uromastyx Lizard. :D

Susan Candelario
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
The comp and softness of the image is beautiful, Julie! Specially of a subject that most people would pull out. Your showing that there is beauty all around, even in a weed. ;)