PDA

View Full Version : Mr Fox

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Firstly, I would like to say much I have enjoyed the past posting of the Red Fox, and would relish an opportunity to photograph one in the snow, somehow they just seem to come alive visually and are quite stunning.

This somehow is rather drab and dull in comparison, but I wanted firstly to get away from the vibrant colour that we tend see, and perhaps, like Morkel, experiment a bit. This certainly isn't going to be everyones 'cup of tea', in fact, probably the majority will hate it, however I wanted to isolate the image, hence the Duo tone (softer than a straight B/W?) and to convey more the alert stance and concentration which might have been lost I feel in the colour version. :confused:

Steve
MKII 300f/2.8 1/1250 sec f/4.5 ISO400 (HH, slight crop)

Hilary Hann
04-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Steve, I absolutely love this and wouldn't change a thing. The expression, cropping, dof, tonal rendering all look good to me. I am viewing on my iPhone but have zoomed in and it is still looking crisp and interesting.

peter delaney
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
lovely image , love the pose,conversions works well...

Just a suggesstions, I would burn the BKG to make it uniformly black,
not sure whats going on in FG, a bit distracting the OOF grass stalks,did you blurr it?

Todd Frost
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Love it. I for one enjoy well done b/w wildlife. I am a fan of oof fg so the blurred area does not distract for me. Some of the fur on the face looks a little over sharpened on my end. Love the pose and chosen comp. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Stu Bowie
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Steve, I like the angle, and pose, and your conversion works well. There are so many different ways of creating a B&W image. The FG doenst distract, but I agree with Todd, it seems a tad oversharpened.

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Peter, it's just grass blowing in the wind, plus at f/4.5 all I wanted was the side view. If the BG goes black or a % of it, might look dropped in, colour version below. :)

Todd/Stuart, I need to remove an action, or at least change it.

Thanks
steve

peter delaney
04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Steve
I have to say love the colour version over the B&W...

Harshad Barve
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Steve
One excellent image , lovely looks , nice BG and details are not bad either :p;)
IMHO color version is far far better than B/W
TFS

Dumay de Boulle
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Steve the B&W conversion is great...But I love the colour version. I just think these animals have such amazing colours that they are meant to be shown of. The detail in the image is outstanding and the pose and comp are great.

B&W 8/10
Colour 10/10

Morkel Erasmus
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Steve, I like both, but (you probably knew that) I LOVE the B&W version for the way it enhances the pose, and even gives personality to this lovely animal. your conversion looks good and I would also not fiddle with the BG too much in this case.

let's keep experimenting!!

DanWalters
04-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Love those a eys and the BW looks great!

Grant Atkinson
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Steve, I thought this an excellent image. Preferred the color by far. Great posture, eyes, and placement in the frame. Well done..
TFS
Grant

Dave Courtenay
04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Steve
I agree on the over sharpening-both this and the cat seem to suffer from it which is not like you, The fox looks familiar is it also from the BWC? i prefer the colour version myself

Dave

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey DC, honoured to have you comment, nice to see you here.

I had added an action in when I updated and reformatted the G5, this has now been deleted. Bertie the cat was from BWC.

Does this mean we will have your comments & posts on here too. Would really be good in many respects. I almost put a link to your website for those who love foxes, as you have some priceless images.

all the best.
Steve ;)

Dave Courtenay
04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Steve

I may start posting again if i have time, The fox looked like 'honey' from the BWC and i put 2+2 together after seeing the cat, Nearly putting a link up is better than not nearly putting a link up i guess-cant find the smiley-lol

Regards

Dave

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Yep, it is Honey. Last time I went to photograph Foxes it poured with rain, travelled 500 miles only to find the den abandoned :D now where was that Dave???? :D