PDA

View Full Version : Barn Again

Christopher Miller
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Worked on yet another barn image today. :) The sky in the original shot was rather flat, so I added a new cloud texture that I made to liven it up. I actually applied the texture three times, once using hard light blending mode, then multiply, and finally soft light. I then overlaid the original photo on top at low opacity and added a vignette. Your comments and critiques would be most appreciated!

denise ippolito
04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Christopher, I think the texture looks interesting as does the composition. I'm not crazy about the vignette on this one and I would evict the stuff in the windows and maybe the one large dust spot up top. You have really created a totally different look for your barn image. :)

Hilary Hann
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I just love this image … the texture and colour are perfect. I would have preferred to see the whole tree on the right which may have meant more sky if you were to keep the proportions of the lhs to the barn in tact. Initially I thought you could have cropped the left to enable fitting the tree in (assuming it was there). However, that would have made the barn too central and I prefer the positioning you have retained, thus my suggestion regarding the sky, just to put it in context.

Mark Fuge
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Nice image and application, Christopher.

If it were mine, I would add to the bottom and crop a little more off the right side. The cloud is overpowering in my view and raising the barn (no pun) might help. But ...

Your image ... your vision.

Christopher Miller
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Here's a repost with the stuff cloned out(thanks Denise ;)). I decided to keep the vignette, but reduced its opacity so that it's more subtle. Mark, I tried your suggestion but didn't like how it looked, so I cropped a bit from the top instead. Let me know what you all think.

Hilary, Yes, I do have the whole tree in the original, but unfortunately no more room on the left. So while I would have preferred to keep the whole tree, I felt this crop was best in terms of the barn placement.

denise ippolito
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Christopher, The toned down vignette looks good:)

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I do like the repost better but I have to agree that that is a LOT of cloud. ;)

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I like the repost. I would eliminate the vignette. Nice work.

Christopher Miller
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks Denise, Jules, and Anita. Much appreciated.

Hilary Hann
04-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Like the repost very much.

Indranil Sircar
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Love the repost, Christopher. Agree with Anita on the Vignette.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Great repost Christopher- I like this very much, the soft colours are very appealing and I do mind the vignette.
Best,
Nicki

Kerry Perkins
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
This is one of my faves of your barn Christopher. I like the faded color look and the textures. I'm not a big fan of the style of vignette, as I prefer the oval or circular types which look more "optical", if you will, but I think I see what you are conveying here. It gives a sense of shadow from a deep frame or some such... Nicely done!

Christopher Miller
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.