04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 82mm
Av mode
1/6"
F16
ISO: 100
Exposure comp +2
Canon 430EX: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
LR & CS3

BG is white foam core. Shot indoors with natural light.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Ken,
Super comp on this and I really like the high key approach. Am debating if you can pull out more depth in the leaves....perhaps a cyan adjustment in CB? Any additional depth you can add to the leaves will only make a very strong image even stronger!

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Lovely, simple, effective, graphic, great colors. I can see the depth. Wonderful image! If I'm reading your info correctly, you used flash, right? And, I'm assuming these leaves were lying on the foam board?

Ken Childs
04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Lovely, simple, effective, graphic, great colors. I can see the depth. Wonderful image! If I'm reading your info correctly, you used flash, right? And, I'm assuming these leaves were lying on the foam board?
I used fill flash but at its minimum setting with the "wide panel" over the flash. I have a mini tripod with an alligator clip attached to hold small subjects and that's what is holding up this branch.

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I used fill flash but at its minimum setting with the "wide panel" over the flash. I have a mini tripod with an alligator clip attached to hold small subjects and that's what is holding up this branch.
Thanks. Both answers help. I had to look up wide panel for flash. How did you attach the alligator clip to the mini tripod? Worked really well for you.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Beautiful color, shapes and composition! Very good looking against the bright BG. I like it a lot!!

Ken Childs
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
How did you attach the alligator clip to the mini tripod? Worked really well for you.
I found a nut that fit the tripod and then used hot melt glue to attach the alligator clip. It ain't pretty, but it works! :)

Here are pics of the tripod and clip. Those flexible legs really come in handy.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_2645.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_2648.jpg

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I found a nut that fit the tripod and then used hot melt glue to attach the alligator clip. It ain't pretty, but it works! :)

Here are pics of the tripod and clip. Those flexible legs really come in handy.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_2645.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_2648.jpg
Thanks, Ken. The pictures were most helpful.

Julie Kenward
04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Beautiful! What a wonderful high key image and I love the composition with all three leaves going to different corners. Agree w/Roman that you might be able to get a little more depth with a cyan adjustment. This is really lovely...not bad for a bug guy. ;):D;)

Arthur Morris
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Simple yet spectacular. How did you get the leaves to lay so flat?

Thanks for all the lessons above.

Ken Childs
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Simple yet spectacular. How did you get the leaves to lay so flat?
I spent some time selecting the one branch tip that looked the best. It was naturally flat. :)

Vida van der Walt
04-24-2010, 01:53 AM
This is a very striking image Ken! Pin sharp with great detail. The comp is perfect and the colours are beautiful.:)

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 04:38 AM
I spent some time selecting the one branch tip that looked the best. It was naturally flat. :)

Thanks Ken. When you made the image were the leaves hanging down? :confused:

Ken Childs
04-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Ken. When you made the image were the leaves hanging down? :confused:
Hey Artie,
They were in the pose you see in this photo. It was rotated slightly CCW to get the leaves pointing towards the corners. The right leaf was touching the main branch and I was able to bend it and have it hold the new position long enough to get off a few shots.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Pretty slick. I still love it. Wonderful vision.

Gail Spitler
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Ken
Thanks for all the tips in this thread and for sharing one fantastic image.
And thanks to everyone for the good questions about how this image was created.
Cheers
Gail