PDA

View Full Version : torn and tattered

daniel valovich
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
This luna moth had been beaten up pretty good.I assumed it was trying to dry out after going in the water. I was in my kayak so it 's not perfect but the color was vivid enough to share the image.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_0lSa66pPKio/S9C-M-aPGzI/AAAAAAAACkw/RowBgjK7w20/s800/DSC_7170.tif.jpg

Julie Kenward
04-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Daniel, that really shows the strength (the tree) and the fragility (the wings) of nature...wonderful! If this were mine I might consider cloning out the lower branch so it is all about the moth and less about the tree. Beautiful lighting here - did the black BG come naturally or did you enhance it in PP? Really lovely image - thanks so much for sharing it with us!

daniel valovich
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks Julie,
I have applied your suggestion in cs4. I was in the shade and didn't want to burn it with a strobe. Being in a current didn't help so I tried to get the fastest shutter speed I could @ 2.8. Here are some specs I failed to post;
nikon d300
80-200 f2.8 @2OOmm
F2.8
1/250S
aperture priority
-1.3 ev

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0lSa66pPKio/S9DdGJQJUHI/AAAAAAAACmE/bWmryFY_yVI/s800/luna%20moth%20edit.jpg

Julie Kenward
04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I do like that better, Daniel...do you?

daniel valovich
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
I still like the first image. I am uncomfortable altering my wildlife images but always open for another opinion. I try to minimize fixing things after the fact. BPN has helped alot in getting things right in the camera at the point of capture.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi Daniel,
These moths are spectacular but you have one that has seen some better days. Considering the Kayak and limited moving around.....you composed this pretty well but I would have preferred this with a bit more room right....tough enough on land.....never mind the Kayak! I do prefer it w/o the branch but definitely appreciate your preference for not removing things. I prefer the OP for color....more natural.

daniel valovich
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks Roman!
I have only seen a few over the years and I barely saw this one. I can maintain a stationary position in the kayak pointed into the current but if i get side ways the current dominates.Would have liked to use the strobe but 1/60s wouldn't have done me any good. More room on the right would have centered the moth but I agree with you.

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I like the colors in the original and the removal of the bottom branch in the second. This image is both beautiful and sad. Beautiful moth, sad at it's condition. But, that is the truth of life. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Childs
04-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I pretty much agree with the comments already posted. It definitely looks better without the branch and although I like the colors of the repost, they don't look natural at all.

I'd love to find a live one of these to photograph. All I ever find are wings which are leftovers from a bat's meal. :(

daniel valovich
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
first repost was oversaturated and I have toned it down to a more realistic color

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0lSa66pPKio/S9IG0xjKw_I/AAAAAAAACpQ/_mWksZOIPhg/s800/luna%20moth%20final.jpg