PDA

View Full Version : Natural Bridge

Peter Farrell
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
This is a natural 20 story stone arch in Virginia.
Sony A700, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 @ 26mm, F8, 1/800, iso 800, HH
PP in PSE8, levels, slightly sharpened. I cloned out some benches in the LRC and people in 4 diferent locations.
This was my only possible vantage point to get the entire arch.

Bob Miller
04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Pete.....You certainly planned out your composition well...leading lines, minimal sky, with some nice color on the right hand side. Well done!

David Thomasson
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Nicely framed shot of a beautiful (and famous) landmark. I've been there many times. In fact, next week, I'm going to roost and hike just down the road from there at the Peaks of Otter. Hope I'll get a few pictures, but I'm not much of a photographer. :o

What you posted will stand just fine as it is. I experimented a little with darkening the brighter area on the left and opening the shadow details underneath the bridge a little. Just fiddling around ...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1681/natbridge.jpg

Dave Mills
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi Peter, Nice leading line of an interesting subject. David's repost warmed the image somewhat and added some needed contrast. Pertaining to the trees on top I would have preferred them uncut. Another idea is to crop down to the top of the arch and eliminate them entirely...

Peter Farrell
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. david, thanks for the re-post. I like it and will modify my original some.
Peter

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Peter,
I like what David did on opening the shadows and toning down the LH side....believe it or not a split ND filter....held horizontally with the darker side to the left would have helped in this situation. Also be a bit more careful with the cloning in the LRC.....looks like you need to clean it up a bit more carefully.....also agree with Dave on the top of trees.....so just keep that in mind for the next time out.
I just re-checked your specs.....and while I am a huge fan of ISO 800....a lower ISO and the camera on the tripod.....would have allowed for a slower SS and eliminated the people if they were moving.....also something to consider for next time out.

Ed Cordes
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Beautiful spot. I like your comp a lot. I like the repost, but think the contrast should be between the OP and repost.