PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Beach

Leroy Laverman
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
One of my favorite shots from a trip to the Olympic National Forest in Washington state last summer.
Any thoughts on what I could or should do to improve this shot?

Nikon D80
Nikon 24-85 1:3.5-4.5
ISO 100 f/14 1/13 sec

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Leroy, great to have you participating in other Galleries :)

Very nice image, I did some tweaking with it, not much.
Although you horizon is level, I checked, it gives the optical illusion of tilting because of the waves. I rotate it a tiny bit for more comfort to the eye and added a Graduated Neutral Density filter, darkening the top a little bit.
Hope you like it.

Bret Edge
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
This is definitely a nice image and I like how you've provided a sense of depth with the receding seastacks and semi-backlight. A stronger foreground would provide more of an anchor for the image.

Bob Ettinger
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
A nice image and Fab's repost adds to it. That optical illusion on the horizon drives me crazy but as Fabs noted it is straight.

Alfred Forns
02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Leroy I had to download and check !!! It is level Thats what I call an "Optional" illusion !!!

Not sure how it would have affected other elements but would move the foreground rock to the right Taking a few steps to the left? Great mood and light play Love this image !!! Big Congrats !!!!

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Leroy, I think I would have walked forward and perhaps right to include all of the FG rock closer to the bottom and strengthen the FG and anchor it to the larger rocks in the BG. Great light and other good points all previous mentioned above.

Leroy Laverman
02-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to go through my files to look for alternate views. I recall moving around a bit to play with the location of the foreground rock with respect to the background.
Nice edit Fabs. Gives me more to think about.

John Chardine
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Beautiful light and colours. Not much of the horizon to check level. I checked image and it is off slightly. Tried -1° rotation in PS which worked great.

Leroy Laverman
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
How about this version? I went through all the shots and this one is a bit more to the right and I've kept the foreground rocks intact. Added a gradient neutral density effect as with Fabs' suggestion.

Travis Novitsky
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I think I like your second image better, Leroy....whether the first one's horizon was actually level or not, it did appear to not be level, whereas this one looks fine. Also, the fact that the rock on the right was cut off a bit bothered me in the first image. The composition of this one is more pleasing at first glance. It looks like you might have been pretty low to the ground to compose this? The only thing I would have done differently would be to stand up, adjust my tripod as high as it would go, and compose the image with the bottom of those rocks near the bottom edge of the frame. I also see a small red/orange flare from the sun on the largest rock....just below and to the left of the tree. I would clone that out. I hope to someday make it to Ruby Beach....it looks like a wonderful place to spend time with a camera!