PDA

View Full Version : Woodcock in habitat

Jim Buescher
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I haven't seen any images of this bird here so I thought I would post this one that I took the other day. Yes, the woodcock is centered, not an ideal HA, can't see the feet and a busy setting, but this bird is generally nocturnal and hides during the day on the forest floor blending in with the leaf litter. It is seldom seen and to get a decent image of one can be a challenge because they usually will fly off before you see them. This image is FF with some distracting BG elements removed.

7D
500f4 w/1.4x
1/250sec. @ f7.1
ISO 400

Ignacio Yufera
04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Very good image of a difficult bird. Its European counterpart is equally elusive. The subject is sharp and well shown in nice light, very well placed in its habitat.

I might try to crop a bit from the right, but that's minor.

Arthur Morris
04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Plusses: Sharp, great bird, EXP right on. Minuses: in addition to those mentioned in the self-critique I would add: filtered light and the large distracting branch in front of the bird.

Gyorgy Szimuly
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice and clear head and eye. I like the detailed surrounding. Too bad for the green oof leaves but that is not so much distracting.

Szimi

Judd Patterson
05-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Jim, I really love this image. It shows a Woodcock in a very natural and pleasing setting. I only wish for a little bit more room around the bird, but I still really like this image and wish I could have a similar opportunity!