PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Wildcat (C)

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2010, 05:43 AM
These are not animals that sit on your lap and purr, try and stroke it and you will never play the guitar again :)

No angry tabby or feral, the wildcat is a genuine wild species of cat; it was here long before we were and long before the domestic cat had even evolved. Infamously the only wild animal to be completely untameable, even when captive reared, Scottish wildcats may look a little like your pet cat but these are incredibly tough super-predators, sometimes called the Tiger of the Highlands, Harshad :).

Sadly, our wildcat is critically endangered with less than 400 individuals remaining in the wild and barely a handful in the captive breeding population.

Steve
MKII 70-200 f/2.8 f/5.6 1/320 sec ISO250 (Cropped on height, left the OOF blades of grass at the foot, spotting on legs)

Not the greatest of BG as the light & time of day was at it's harshest, so have toned it down, otherwise it would have looked like 'astro turf (artificial turf)'

Harshad Barve
04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
lovely image of Tiger of highlands :) I love Cats
How sad about their status in wild and I hope they will survive
amazing expressions and details , looks like your trip was fruitful ;)
TFS

ps , Ofcourse I want to play guitar:D

Andrew Merwin
04-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Well done Steve. I like the aggressive stance of the cat.

Andrew

Marc Mol
04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Very nice comp, with good detail, showing their true colors here, don't mind the BG so much.
Looks a touch over sharpened Steve on my cal monitor?
TFS

Stu Bowie
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Thats one angry cat Steve, and well done for capturing the moment. I like the detail on the tongue. The cats left eye looks a bit funny - maybe more light than the other one.

Steve Kaluski
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks a touch over sharpened Steve on my cal monitor?

The whiskers are just a hint too much probably Marc, when I knocked back the BG it might have had an additional pass as routine. It's not something I am worried about on this one, as I know the hi-res is fine on my cal monitor. Cheers ;)

The cats left eye looks a bit funny - maybe more light than the other one.

Stuart, it's because it's not as sharp as the right one, as you view it. The right eye is cleaner & sharper, the left is flat & slightly soft due to the f stop & focus point.

Thanks guys
Steve

peter delaney
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome back, great cat, love the image...

only thing that I am not sure about is the OOF leg draws my eye...

Marc Mol
04-22-2010, 07:27 PM
The whiskers are just a hint too much probably Marc

Yes, thanks Steve, should have said the muzzle/whiskers are a touch crispy :p

Todd Frost
04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Don't get in his way! Nice view of this one. Whiskers mentioned and clarified. Good to see you back. Looking forward to more images from your trip. TFS
Todd