PDA

View Full Version : Tree Patterns and Texture

Barbara Kile
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
This was simple pattern of trees converted to b-w, then inverted to provide more contrast. (I've never tried using 'invert' to a b-w before, so this was an interesting outcome. Technique suggested by a friend) Then I overlaid a 'landscape' type texture over the image - one that features what might be suggestive of clouds, grass, water, sky, etc.
0.8" at f/11.

denise ippolito
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Barbara, Something different from you and it's nice to see you trying new things. This really works for me . I like the etched look to this. You have a beautiful layering of color in the BG. The texture is very nice also. Well done.

Kerry Perkins
04-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Barbara, nice job on this and I really like the textures. The layers of color really add interest. Looks like a hand-tinted pen and ink. Nice!

Arthur Morris
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I also like the look, the color, and the textures.

Barbara Kile
04-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank you Denise, Kerry, and Artie. Every once in a while I get a nice surprise moving a texture onto an image!

Arthur Morris
04-22-2010, 05:20 AM
YAW Barbara, Can you let us know how you brought in the texture. (I am totally new at that :))

Barbara Kile
04-22-2010, 08:33 AM
I would be happy to Artie. If you need a few good places for free or purchased textures: Shadow House Creations, (http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot.com/), btw: Shadow House has some free ones on Flickr under 'Totally Mess', Flypaper Textures (http://flypapertextures.blogspot.com/), and Distressed Textures by Jewell (http://www.wix.com/DistressedJewell/Distressed-Textures). For purchased ones, they will usually give you a discount on more than one set. I'm always shooting my own textures too when I'm out and about.

I size the texture file (and once I do I save in a separate folder) to my camera resolution, as I apply to a full sized image. I move the texture onto the image. The fun begins as you now have choices as to blending mode. I often use multiply and adjust the opacity. My second choice is either hard light or overlay, and sometimes soft light. Those will be your best choices. (Although try color burn on a landscape image to see a moody effect!) You then adjust opacity to taste, and add a layer mask, if you want, to paint off or blend off where you don't want the texture to be as heavy. I usually use a soft brush at 30-32% opacity and fill. If I want to darken the edges slightly, I find I prefer a highly feathered selection, inverted, to darken slightly with levels or curves.

A new program everyone is becoming excited about is Totally Rad's Dirty Pictures. It is an action and comes with 21 full res textures. (you'll find your favorites in any texture set). Check out their website:
http://www.gettotallyrad.com/#get-totally-rad-7a1d9 Click on products/Dirty Pictures. There's not a free trial, but they have a 30 day money back. This is a way to quickly apply a texture to see if you like it - and the program works very well. The good news here is that you can add to the 21 textures, by asking the program to bring in textures from your already sized folder of textures! (That's why I have a separate folder for my full res textures - so I can get Dirty Pictures to show those thumbs too in the interface.)

Hope this gets you started! Holler if I didn't explain something very well. If anyone has an addition or another idea, leave a comment.

Arthur Morris
04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks a ton. I had no idea that the process was so complex!

Barbara Kile
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
You're welcome, Artie. If it's any consolation, I just moved this texture on the tree pattern image and just lowered the opacity. I do more painting and mask stuff on a floral image. So........ your turn now!
:D

Arthur Morris
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Ah, here's a confession: as a rule, I do not like images with texture added. It often seems overdone to me like old wallpaper. Yours, and many of Denise's that I have seen, are exceptions.

Barbara Kile
04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Thank you very much.:)

Anita Bower
04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I completely agree with Denise's comment. Very nice!! Love the colors and the patterns.

Julie Kenward
04-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Beautifully done, Barbara - your explanation of the texture's colors were exactly how my mind was approaching the image. Lovely work!

Barbara Kile
04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone!