PDA

View Full Version : Trithemis annulata female

Bob Reimer
02-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Some of my friends from the Emirates Natural History Group and I were showing a visiting entomologist from the British Museum of Natural History around the area yesterday. While we were in one of the oasis (actually the next block diagonally from where I live), I noticed a bunch of Trithemis annulata males chasing each other around the falaj (irrigation channel). About 20 metres away, at least six females were sunning themselves on a young date palm tree and occasionally making brief flights to capture passing midges. This is one of the females taken just before sunset.

I've been experimenting to see what difference opening up, going with less DOF but a faster shutter speed makes in my macros. I think this one is pretty sharp although I didn't get quite positioned perfectly parallel to the body. I'm enjoying the new D300's AF system though of being able to select a point other than the centre to focus on reducing the need to focus and recompose.

D-300, 80-400 VR at 195mm with Canon 500D close up diopter, Aperture priority -.33 EV Matrix metering, ISO 400, f 5.6, 1/640 sec, Neutral picture control. Processed with DxO Optics 5.04, -1.3EV, as shot except for Smart Vibrancy. Cropped.

Mike Moats
02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey Bob, overall a nice image, its a little sharper on the back end, it would have been nice to have the head and front end on the sharper side, and as you stated it just needed a little tweak on the lens position. You did a nice job on the BG.

Fabs Forns
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Ni ce, clean background and goo compo. It could go a bit brighter for my taste and sharper in the head. Thanks for sharing it!

Robert O'Toole
02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Bob

I like the image, nice details and good comp. The background details are a big plus.

Agree with Fabs in that a brighter BG would prob look more pleasing to the eye.

D-flys dont always have to be totally 100% parallel, I like to make D-fly images facing the subject, in your case one step to the left.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert