PDA

View Full Version : Snow Geese

Dave Leroy
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I am wondering if the light works in this one. The wind was directly at my back and there was not much I could do to get over to the right and get the sun behind me.
So photo ended up with some harsh shadows, and may have any way.
50D, 500mm +1.4, Manual, 1/2000, f/8, ISO400.

Dave

Don Railton
04-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Hi Dave

I think the lighting is poor but agree not a lot you could have done about it other than use a fill flash. No sure if you had that option available.. In spite of the light I really like the shot, and the lower bird provides a wonderful study in aerodynamics, with the inner part of the wing in stall, turbulence generators active mid wing and the tail down to balance. Obviously very close to touchdown...

DON

Tom Graham
04-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Two heavies coming in too close, back bird will have turbulence problems!!!
Interesting Don your pointing out the aerodynamics on the wings.
I think the light is fine. Maybe too much shadow but shadows are not too deep. Like it a lot.
Tom

Peter Farrell
04-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Yeah better light would have helped, but this is a very unique capture.
I definetly like it.
Peter

Mark Young
04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
The composition looks great. There's a definite sense of movement in this image.

Dave Leroy
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys. You have pretty much confirmed what I thought. A nice photo and not great light.
And a good job of flight dynamics by Don. I normally don't carry a flash with me, but it is certainly a good thought.
It is also interesting how the 500mm compresses the depth of the photo.
Tks Again, Dave

Alfred Forns
04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Dave You do have an option when the light angle is way off !!! Can try setting up at light angle and waiting for a bird to bank, will have less chances but will also nail a few !!!

Days that we have light and wind are a dream come true and much appreciated !!! ... btw for these guys landing is best to wait a little more and get them flaring !!!

Dave Leroy
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks Al.

I am just getting to understand that wind and light at your back thing!