PDA

View Full Version : Tulip #4

Julie Kenward
04-20-2010, 07:34 AM
This is the last of the series...at least until I get more computer time! I always have the hardest time getting the stamen and pistil to look right and be in focus but this time it came out pretty nice. I did another version where I increased the sharpness on the stamen and pistil but it seems harsh for the softness of the image. Your thoughts?

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f7.1 @ 1/25th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, day WB
Handheld, elbows braced on table, flower near soft light window
Processed in ACR & CS4

Anita Bower
04-21-2010, 07:00 AM
The colors are lovely, as is the composition. I think you achieved a nice balance between in focus and softness. I'd like to see the image with increased sharpness, but trust your sense that this one works best. I've been taking some similar photos, and have mixed feelings about them. I guess that ideally, I'd like to see all the stamen in focus, with the petals soft. I look forward to the comments of others. (Whew, I'm almost caught up on this forum!)

Christopher Miller
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Lovely comp and colors, Jules. I've got mixed feelings about the stamen and pistil sharpness. The stamens look pretty good to me, but I think I would prefer a little more sharpness on the pistil.

Mike Moats
04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey Jules, agree it needs more focus on the stamens, just a little to soft there for me.

denise ippolito
04-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Jules, Agree w/ comments already given. I like the colors and the soft lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Jules.....ok....so I won't say go to f22:D....but perhaps f11 to get the added stamen sharpness? I'm a huge fan of bracketing DOF......if yo have a comp you really like....which I do....then I can debate how sharp it need to be with the DOF bracketing. Make sense?

Vida van der Walt
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Jules, I like these soft images and the sharpness is not a big issue to me. English being my second language, I'm not quite sure which part is the stamen and which the pistil. The only thing I would do is to lighten the 5 stamen?pistil?. Great comp and lovely colours.:)